Notice to Hotmail/Gmail & BT Internet users - Please check your SPAM/JUNK folders for our emails. Please add our email as a contact to your email account.
Light/Dark Mode Enabled: You can now select the option by clicking the moon/lightbulb in the top right corner!

EPC light on error code brake switch light but it's working?

Go to solution Solved by nige8021,

POLO9N32014

Strange problem this one. I had this error light light come and read the codes it was pointing to the brake light switch so I replaced it cleared the code and went for a drive. all was fine until i went over a speed bump and the only EPC light came back on this was 1 and half. I tired to clear it by turning the engine off and back on but then the engine light came on. I read the codes again and it was same code. I check connection of the switch and they where ok.

I cleared codes and left engine to idle for 30min no lights, but as soon as i drive and go over bumps the light comes on. Is there any location i can check?

error code via vcds lite

001393 - Brake Light Switch (F): Implausible Signal.

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• POLO9N32014

• Firoz Nanji

• nige8021

• Pete1

POLO9N32014

VCDS-Lite Version: Release 1.2

Sunday, 13 April 2014, 18:24:04.

Control Module Part Number: 036 906 034 KA

Component and/or Version: MARELLI 4TV 7448

Software Coding: 00071

Work Shop Code: WSC 00000

VCID: 5BC9146FDA3D

Additional Info: WVWZZZ9NZ6Y104764 VWZ7Z0E2654400

1 Fault Found:

16955 - Brake Switch (F): Implausible Signal

P0571 - 35-00 - -

this is the actual message i'm getting found out it errors randomly not going over bumps.

Any ideas
  • Solution
nige8021

It's fuse #4 5amp, but as in my previous post I would start with checking the switch

Pull connector off brake light switch. Removal and installation of the brake light switch may only be carried out while operating rod is pressed in, otherwise the locking mechanism of the brake light switch will be damaged. – Remove brake light switch by turning 45° to left. Installing, adjusting and locking Before assembling the brake light switch, grease the bright tip of the plunger head with polycarbamide grease G 052 142 A2. l The brake pedal must remain at rest position while the brake light switch is being installed. The brake pedal must not be touched by anything but the plunger head throughout the entire installation. – Guide brake light switch through fitting hole -arrow 1- and press it against pedal with head of plunger. Then turn brake light switch 45° to right -arrow 2- until it can be felt to engage. – Fit brake light switch connector. – Check function of brake light.
POLO9N32014

Thanks for the reply.

I had the switch out and checked pin 1 and 4 which are working fine and 2 and 3 which also work normal. So the switch is functioning fine. I have set up the switch so 1-2 mm to the light will turn on.

I'll try the fuse number 4.

Please note I have reseated all fuses But did not check. also after cleared the error codes this was right at the start.

had a deeper look in vcds and when i select Readiness option I get this

vcds.png

Is this normal? I also notice the engine running at around 670 RPM (when warm) and also notice that I need to rev the engine more when moving off stop it stalling.

I do remember the first time I saw the EPC light come on. The was parked for 2 week in the garden I started the engine and once the engine was nice and warm i raised the engine to 3000 RPM and the EPC light came on, I turned off the engine and let it rest and started it again hopping the light would turn off but no the this time engine light came on as well. I notice the engine idles around 670 RPM when warm and 900 to 1000 cold.

Recap:

Test loom 12V ground

Tested Switch and calibrated

Reseated all fuses

Cleared all error codes.

nige8021

When you did the readiness test how long had the engine been running?

POLO9N32014
nige8021 your a star it was fuse number 4 cause the fault it was blown. The EPC light has turned off by it self, just need to clear the code to get rid of the engine light the car drives like as it should.

Now just got minor fault with windows the passenger switch ( on driver side) opens the drivers window and the passenger switch (driver side) opens the driver side window. it may need reprogramming as the windows motor was from a german Skoda Fab with same part number.

• 6 years later...
Firoz Nanji

Can anybody help ?   Any idea to which components is the brake light switch connected to ?

My switch has 4 terminals.    Yes, one should bring in 12V ,   one should go to the brake lights.

Other 2 ???

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Also ! thought would share this :-

Car was smoking, Replaced all 16 valve stem seals without removing the Head. Tricky, but can be done.

No more smoke !!1 Whilst at it, also replaced the 2 x Timing belts and water pump.

Car runs like a charm, except after doing this work,  brake switch has acted up, and causing 

power steering problems.

Firoz Nanji

Sorry, it's me again !!  2004 Polo BBY , 9N , 1.4 petrol engine.

Did not have original VW brake switch,  so I have installed a normal 2 pin switch.

12V in and 12V out to the lights.    Trying to figure where other 2 wires in the old switch 

go to.  Regards

The other two wires are a separate normally-closed switch that connects cabin fuse 4 to engine ECU pin number 55 when the pedal isn't pressed. Disconnecting those points when it is pressed. 

Firoz Nanji

Managed to find a VW Polo switch, installed it the correct way.....    

Showing Code : 16955    ( P0571) 

Clear it,     comes back, won't go.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Another codes showing  :-     00511     Selector Lever    /    01324    Control Module for AWD J492    , my Car is 2WD ?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Installed a secondhand electric Power Steering Pump and Rack sensor,    worked well,   BUT NOW

this code has come back:    01290    Reference Voltage : Steering Assist

Regards to all , help and advice much appreciated

Firoz Nanji

Many Thanks Pete1      Will check fuse 4 ,    Feel like opening up the old brake switches to have a look inside.. 

Firoz Nanji

Many Thanks Pete1      Will check fuse 4 ,    Feel like opening up the old brake switches to have a look inside..