Sign in to follow this  
1vw2many

Engine help gt non starter as i am pulling my hair out now

1vw2many

I just noticed in manual the dizzy body has a earth strap to the dizzy cap ? but when I changed the dizzy cap on mine no earth strap ? but no spade on old dizzy cap or new one ? never notice if one was in place to start with..

Edited by 1vw2many

nige8021

That strap is for radio interference suppression

steveo3002

spade is for the metal shroud, something to do with radio interferance i imagine , deffo not your problem

i really dont think the exhuast is blocked, cant you shove a rag up the tailpipe and see if it spits out when cranking...will be a world of pain if you snap some exh studs as well . id guess if it was blocked it would at least fire then die

Edited by steveo3002

1vw2many

Yes shall ram some rag up it and see what goes on. I know exh studs snap easy , If it was blocked what would it be blocked with water ?

steveo3002

could only really be colapsed baffles or cat , water would run out the joints and tailpipe

Gbd8512

do you get on with your neighbours? shine a torch up exhaust. maybe someone put a potato up there and poked it up?

1vw2many

Ha ha potato I will check :D

1vw2many

I did notice when it was running that it used to spit out a little rusty water when I started it up ?

dabigginger

I'm with caretaker on this. There may be fuel in the line, but not enough for good pressure. I've had it happen myself before!

Also, when you say new plugs, distributor etc, are they new since the problem started or were they new before?

steveo3002

I did notice when it was running that it used to spit out a little rusty water when I started it up ?

thats nothing - just condensation , really when running a engine to keep it good you should run it up until its all nice and hot so the condensation burns off , running for a few mins makes things worse

theres possibly a test in the haynes for fuel pump delivery - xx litres in xx minutes

1vw2many

I fitted new parts plugs etc after it stopped running , I used to turn engine over once a week until engine got hot and fan kicked in . As foe fuel pump are we talking about the one under the car ? think I might have to buy a new pump and see what the result is then .

steveo3002

so back to when you saw the inj spray fuel - did it roar out ?

any reasonble amount of fuel should at least have it trying to fire and get going , maybe a weak pump would let you down under max revs but if fuel is getting in there i think it should fire

just basics..needs spark -fuel - compression and the right timing

looked into the blue temp sender any more?

1vw2many

I see where you coming from ..

We have spark , we have timing correct , we have fuel at injectors but as for roaring out am not sure about that it was not a dribble but defo not a roar ?

Have ordered a blue temp sender was going to pull out one from breadvan but will lose coolant ect and just creating another job if I do ..

steveo3002

as long the engines are cold theres no coolant loss to worry about

should be a firm spray , prob some vids on youtube to see how they compare

1vw2many

Ok shall pull out blue sender and try it in my gt , will look on youtube about injectors .

1vw2many

I tried blue sender from breadvan on gt and vice versa but still no joy , Just been on utube and my injectors so not spray out with force like on utube .

steveo3002

hmmm its a tough one hey

having thought about it , i guess alot of the youtube vids are showing the inj on max output so maybe yours are okay

dunno what to say , just work your way though it all , check all the connectors you can find etc

any chance of vandals putting something in the tank ?

1vw2many

Yes I will just keep at it think I will just replace one part at a time . Will order in line fuel pump next as done plugs, leads , dizzy and rotor arm . As for vandals my fuel cap has lock on it .

1vw2many

I put some fuel down the throttle body and it fired up :smile: naughty I know .

Edited by 1vw2many

steveo3002

surley theres a way to test the pump - should be delivery figures in a book somewhere , xx litres in a minute or such

then i spose see if you can a fuel pressure tester

just to check..it was a good blue spark right?

no dodgy alarms or immobilsers etc?

edit- have you changed the fuel filter if so is it the right way round? and could whip out the fuel pick up and check its clean

Edited by steveo3002

kwijibo_coupe

So it the fuel rail keeping pressure for the injectors? Once the fuel pump is primed can you feel the pressure in the feed hose?

It's clearly a fueling issue so either the pump, filter, FPR, injectors or electrical.

1vw2many

Yes good blue spark , no alarms or immobilsers .

No did not do fuel filter , as for fuel pick up on in petrol tank ?

1vw2many

Just getting stressed out now :-(

kwijibo_coupe

Are you able to take the pump under the car off and hook it up to a battery to bench test it? If you can use some hose and a tub of petrol so you can see how much it's pumping.

1vw2many

I just took out fuel tank sender and check all working and its fine a few rust particles on filter so cleaned and put back . Just getting out trolly jack and axles stand so I can remove fuel pump and do bench test as you have advised.

Edited by 1vw2many