6kChristoph

Bit of a shit. Switon insurance!

6kChristoph

Right not techincally car related as it was for my bike insurance but i was hoping that someone else had been in my position and would like know what there outcome was...

Basically i rung up my bike insurer, swinton, about 4 months ago asking them how much it would cost to cancel my insurance policy. After having a long winded convo, they want to charge me half my premium of £110 to cancel even though i was 8 months into the policy. I was planning on just carrying on with the policy to get the no claims but personal situation changed and i needed to scrap every penny. But after the phone call i said decieded not to cancel it. Hung up the phone thinking no harm done.

Couple days after i receive a letter from them saying i needed to £110 pounds as i cancelled my policy. I immediately rung them up saying i didnt actually ask to cancel, i simply enquired about it (which i beleive i had every right too) either way, they said because the policy had been cancelled i could no longer reinstate the policy and the payment had to be made. I refused and said it was a joke. 1 week went by and i receive a letter from a debt collectors demanding i pay them otherwise they will be taking legal action, also, they added another £25 for ADMIN charges!!

I understand, that to some £100 isnt alot of money and my financhal situation is much better, however i feel like usual, there just using bully tactics, for their own mistake.

Is it worth me taking this further??

I have plans to speak someone at the citizen advice and see what they say, but wondered if anyone on here had any useful advice from past experience?

Cheers! :)

kwijibo_coupe

I've had a similar experience with Elephant. Basically the policy was 7 months in, I was paying monthly and a months premium had just come out. I asked to cancel and they wanted the equivalent of another months premium to cancel. Think it was £80 or so.

I argued as I said I was cancelling the policy that day even though I'd paid the following month in advance.

Anyway I got nothing through from Elephant but got several letters from different debt collection agencies asking for the money.

They threatened to come to my door eventually etc. but no one ever did and now, 3 years on it has all gone away.

I don't recommend you do this as it can harm your credit rating and also you'll never be able to get insurance from that company again. Also bare in mind I live in Scotland and laws on debts are different here.

What I would say is debt companies will basically take anything they can get so get on the phone to them and say you'll pay them £10 a month till the debt is paid.

6kChristoph

Thanks for the reply.

They said on the phone "they would take legal action" no word of any visits. And I've spoken to a couple of people, and theyve all said due to the amount of money they want, they wont waste there time taking me to court as it would cost more than what i "apparently" owe them. My credit rating is already bad TBF. And i shant be using swinton ever again either.

Just really in two minds wether to persue it and leave them to take whatever action they want, believing they'll eventually leave it. Or like you say, ring them and say ill pay £10 a month until the debts settled, which i dont really want to do, as i paying for there mistake. If they refuse, i'll just say see you in court then.

steveo3002

insurance omudsman

write to the insurance stating what you say here that you didnt request to cancel just a question, they should reply

if the reply isnt what you feel is fair get onto the omudsman , they will sort it

6kChristoph

Thanks for that man. Will ring the insurer again today, ask them to provide proof that i cancelled it. Because I've been told to official cancel a policy i have to be sent a form to sign? Either way, if they fail or cant provide me with the correct info, proving that i cancelled it ill send omudsman an email :good:

daz_derby

since all calls are recorded for "monitoring and training purposes" etc i'd have asked them to provide audio of the original enquiry conversation. it's just scare tactics.

6kChristoph

I have, but they refused to send me anything. Yeah, i begining to think thats the case more and more.

OAP

swinton are rob dogs and should have been kicked out of the insurance trade years ago.

try these as they are very fair

BRENTACRE INSURANCE

Cambrian House
Cambrian Place
Swansea
SA1 1RH

Tel: 01792 650 933
Fax: 01792 461 139

OPENING TIMES Monday 9am – 5:30pm Tuesday 9am – 5:30pm Wednesday 9am – 5:30pm Thursday 9am – 5:30pm Friday 9am – 5:30pm Saturday 9am – 12pm Sunday Closed Bank Holidays Cl

Nikzworld

I'm with oap, brentacre are really good, they also do a modified insurance policy that allows you to do most modifications as long as it doesn't exceed your allowed power output for the policy.

6kChristoph

This was a bike insurance policy chaps ;) But thanks anyway ha

Nikzworld

Mines cheapest through Bennetts for bike ins.

therewillbeblood

Swinton are pretty useless with stuff like this, they lost my proof of no claims bonus when I sent it to them and phoned me up for weeks asking me to send it again which I did and then I went on holiday in my car down to Cornwall and they phoned up whilst I was away and said they still didn't have it, My mother told them otherwise and they said oh yes it's here, only for them to say to me later down the line please send it again... Then they said don't worry about it sending it?! :disgust:

SamG40

Swinton are terrible. I had a load of hassle years ago with them over a home insurance policy. Never again.

Edited by SamG40

6kChristoph

I've successfully filed a law suit against them awaiting a letter back within the week to see what they say................. hoping a big pay out ;) ha

davidpant_teg

I had trouble with Swinton too. In 2010, I went with my nephew to insure his car. i had told him that I would pay the monthly instalments for him,but was told that I couldn't do this if the insurance was in his name. This turned out to be serious mis advice. we eventually sorted the insurance out, following the advice we were given which was that i would hvae to be a named driver on the policy. As it turned out (the documentation went to my nephew so i didn't see it) the idiots had insured the car in my name, even though I didn't own it and it wasn't registered to me.None of this came to light until my nephew had an accident and the insurers tried to repudiate the claim. they even threatened to sue me for their £rd party costs. I saw my arse! I wrote to the insurance company stting out the position, copying the correspondence to Swinton and making it plain this was a complaint. Apart from a letter saying that my complaint was being dealt with, Swinton did nothing. In the meantime, the insurers threatened to issue proceedings and i write back saying that, if they did, i would joinSwintons as third parties, again copying the correspondence to Swinton. Their solicitors then wrote to me in a very bullying manner. I replied with an acknowledgement indicating that i was copying their correspondence to the insurers, which i did. After this,one of the underwriters for the insurers rang me and, during the conversation, it became clear that this was by no means that Swinton had cocked someone's insurance up. I have heard nothing more and the insurers are now out of time to do anything. However, the whole mess left a very nasty taste in the mouth and I wouldn't insure with Swinton if they were the last insurance agents on earth. So, make a complaint and if they try to bully you tell them to F*** off and write the the insurance ombudsman.

If i can disuede anyone from going to Swinton, I will!

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.