Notice to Hotmail/Gmail & BT Internet users - Please check your SPAM/JUNK folders for our emails. Please add our email as a contact to your email account.
Light/Dark Mode Enabled: You can now select the option by clicking the moon/lightbulb in the top right corner!

Wiring guage for installing switched 12V for stereo/radio

kennyboy

Hi there first time posting.....

After reading many forums/blogs on the whole thing on how to connect up an aftermarket radio I have a few questions that haven't been answered.

Basically I have a 2012 6R Polo and the RCD210 is currently in. I want to install my own radio that I had in my previous Polo 9N. This was simple as the ISO loom was standard in the 9N.

So without going over old ground I want to install the switched 12V feed from the fusebox using the fuse box repair wire from VW (000 979 135E) which is costing me £2.50.

This is the 1mm wire version, roughly about 18 AWG. Would this be okay ? Or would I have to go to the next size up which I think is 2.5mm which is 10 AWG ?

Then after that I was going to solder a 16 AWG wire to feed the stereo with, is that overkill ?

I am thinking a 10 AMP fuse in my new circuit would be suffiecient too.

The radio is an old Sony 4 x 45W output, but I'll only be using the front two speakers just now. Mostly for listening to earbleeding gabber and a tad of Talksport.

I'll also be wiring in my old sub/amp too but that is no bother as I have all the required bits and bobs for that since it was removed from my previous car.

Cheers

Kenny

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• kennyboy

• nige8021

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

nige8021

First Welcome to the forum.

The standard wires for the power to the radio are 2.5 & 1.0mm both are fed from a battery live via fuse # 45 15 or 20amp on the earlier cars there was an "S" contact supply as long as the key was in the ignition, this is used on your model but it signals the "Onboard power supply unit" and this tells the radio to switch ON via the CAN bus system, the wire from the ignition switch is a Black/Red wire ( 1.0mm) pin 4 might be marked as "S" this feeds to fuse 19 5 amp and this leaves the fusebox as a Black/Brown wire (0.5mm) and goes to the Onboard power supply unit on plug 73A pin 42

kennyboy

Thanks for the in depth info, so reading that I should be okay using the 1mm fuse box repair wire and splicing that to the red wire on the quadlock to iso loom ?

nige8021

Isn't the Red the battery live connection on the ISO connector? & the Yellow the IGN supply on your existing connector there are two battery live supplies on pins 15 & 16 Red/Yellow wires, Just make sure you don't connect anything to the Orange/Green & Orange/Brown wires as they are the CAN bus wires and if you do connect anything to them expect all sorts of weird faults !!!

kennyboy

The connects 2 connector (quadlock to ISO) I'm buying states that the red wire going into the ISO block has to be connected to ignition live (The feed from the new circuit I am creating in the fuse box)

So I am presuming the yellow from quad into ISO is permanent 12V.

Just making sure the gauge of wire and fuses will be okay for what I'm doing.

Cheers for replying BTW.

Cheers

Kenny

nige8021

The radio will work with the wires (Red & Yellow) the wrong way, just it will not retain the stored radio frequencies, obviously the battery live supply wires will be OK, the switched ignition supply from the "S" contact needs to be a 1mm wire with a 5 amp fuse to protect it

kennyboy

Brilliant thank you. I think my loom from ISO to radio already switches the red and yellow around or I did, can't remember which. As I said the loom worked in my 9N, so all infeeds to the radio were fine.

Looking at the quad to ISO loom I'm buying the red cable seems longer, so hopefully all I have to to is solder/crimp that onto my fuse extension.

I know I can buy the Canbus adapter thing but for a small amount of work (plugging in a wire and crimping the other end I'm saving myself the best part of £50.

Thanks for your help/advise !

nige8021

The CAN bus adapter would provide the vehicle speed info for the "auto volume" control if the radio supports that, otherwise save the money

kennyboy

That feature used to annoy me in my previous car (stock radio when I first got it) had to turn the blasted thing off.

I wonder how long it will be before everything goes totally digital !