leemoss1993

-HELP- ENGINE HAS VERY LITTLE POWER AFTER CONVERSION --HELP!-

leemoss1993

Hi, after spending hours scrolling through the forum, and finding no answer I've decided to start a new topic.

so,

I've recently done a engine conversion on my 1.0L mk2f (AAU engine code)

I have swapped out the engine for a complete GT bottom end. (crank, pistons and rods, block, sump, flywheel, everything from the bottom end basically.)

I have a 1.3L CL head, with the GT camshaft, and a 4-2-1 Stainless manifold and a 5 speed GT box.

Everything else is pretty much standard 1L (inlet, throttle body, injector, coil, dizzy, ECU, Starter motor ETC)

Since doing the engine swap, it seems to have no power, like, its got noticeably more pull than the standard 1L AAU engine but when i actually try to put some power down, it seems to kind of bog out a little?

The Timing seems okay, checked it with a timing gun and seems bob on. could it need advancing slightly to accommodate the GT cam?

Could it not be getting enough fuel? which i suppose would mean a dodgy lamba sensor?

Could it be the ECU no accommodating for the bigger engine? - I have a standard 1.3L CL ECU Chip, Could this possibly solve the issue?

Could the Dizzy/Rotor be Knackered?

I really have no idea where to begin with the thing!

I'm still running the engine in, so cant really thrash it, but surely it shouldn't behave like this at 2000 RPM?

ANY help at al would be massively appreciated!

Thanks,

Lee.

kwijibo_coupe

I would say your first issue is the restriction in the inlet and throttle body. The 1.0 and 1.3 inlet and throttle body have a noticeable size difference when compared side by side. So really I would change them out for 1.3 items.

Also I would give the AAV ECU a try. If you do that along with the throttle body and inlet you should then be getting a decent fuel/air mix for your increased capacity.

Although in saying all that since you have a GT bottom end and GT cam it maybe be worth looking into the GT injection system to go with it. That should see much more noticeable gains.

kiran_182

sounds like you cant provide the air/ fuel the cam and displacement need

i had a similar problem when i did a 3f conversion on a AAV and han't swapped the fuel pump, all was fine till i went full throttle and then the power dropped out

leemoss1993

Thanks for the replys guys!

I tried a 1.3L ECU yesterday and it seemed to make a difference! I have a standard 1.3L ECU chip, i assume i could just pop that into my 1.0L ECU and it'll do the trick?

Would the 1.3L inlet and throttle body be a straight swap for my 1L ones? or would i need the loom aswell?

Getting the GT fuel rail, loom and everything is defiantly on the cards when i can afford it!

I would say your first issue is the restriction in the inlet and throttle body. The 1.0 and 1.3 inlet and throttle body have a noticeable size difference when compared side by side. So really I would change them out for 1.3 items.

Also I would give the AAV ECU a try. If you do that along with the throttle body and inlet you should then be getting a decent fuel/air mix for your increased capacity.

Although in saying all that since you have a GT bottom end and GT cam it maybe be worth looking into the GT injection system to go with it. That should see much more noticeable gains.

leemoss1993

Also, Would a inlet manifold from a 1.4L 6N polo fit/ be suitable?

Could easily get hold of one so just wondered if it would work?

Thanks!

kwijibo_coupe

The inlet and throttle from a 1.3 is a straight bolt on plug and play swap.

I believe the inlets on the 6n Polos have different port spacing so don't fit.

prankstar2003

You say running it in, have you actually rebuilt the engine with new parts? If not then you shouldnt need to run it in

leemoss1993

The inlet and throttle from a 1.3 is a straight bolt on plug and play swap.

I believe the inlets on the 6n Polos have different port spacing so don't fit.

Thanks! ill try and find a inlet and throttle body for sale :)

leemoss1993

You say running it in, have you actually rebuilt the engine with new parts? If not then you shouldnt need to run it in

I've replaced near enough everything can really, minus the pistons and conrods, near enough everything else is brand new

prankstar2003

Full rebuild then. Being gentle is a good idea then.

leemoss1993

yeah have been taking it really steady, not been going over 3K RPM

leemoss1993

So guys, i replaced the inlet manifold and throttle body for 1.3L CL items and also replaced the chip in the ECU with a standard 1.3L CL chip but i still have the problem?

granted, it is much, much better but it is still there!

anyone got any idea of what it could be?!