Sign in to follow this  
Christian6N

Dartford Crossing Charge - WTF ?

Christian6N

The last poloshow is over now exactely five months ago.

Today i have received a letter from your "Department for Transport".

It is a demand bill, I didn't paid the charge for the bridge over the river thames of the way back from northampton.

I was thinking and trying to remember now for one whole hour....
That is right, cos all i remember is that behind the bridge there was no possibility for paying.

It looked like they were testing cruise missiles, similar to an construction area.
I didn't thought about that any longer, i passed the bridge and thats all, felt lucky a couple of seconds and thats all.

Now they charge me 70 GBP, which is 108 Euros.

Man that is hard to swallow.

BUT!!!: the other of both sites was a warningletter.

They assume that i don't know their Dart Charge System. So in this case they would cancel my demand bill, when i pay 3,75 Euros (which accords the 2,50 GBP charge) within 14 Days.

Man till i read the letter completely my pulse was @180bpm....... now it is back down on normal level.

How should non-english-people know that new charge system?

On the way up to northampton, my tomtom leaded me more to the west and then up the north, not through the tunnel, so i still don't know whether it is the same on the tunnel under the river thames?

Who knows more?

Again one more thing to think about when coming over next time.....

Damned.....

cheers

Christian

nige8021

I seem to recall something that they decided were to do away with the collection booths for the bridge & tunnel crossings, and it would be monitored by number plate recognition cameras and you either pay online or the same places you can pay for the central london congestion charges.

I would turn left off the M2 and go clockwise around the M25, it's only 21 miles further and no toll charges :)

Retrotub

I think it's 2 quid for cars. It applies each way either bridge or tunnel.

I live 27 miles (850km or 9567euro) from the crossing and have an account. The minimum for the account is £10 and it pulls another couple of quid from my bank to top it up each time. Obviously this is only useful for frequent use.

Online You can pre pay or pay in arrears but have 24 hours.

The building work has now pretty much ended.

It's often better to use the crossing. It's a better bet than the possible congestion on the west side if the m25.

JC

You can pre pay

Edited by Retrotub

dvderlm

It's now £2.50. There are quite a few signs after the crossing reminding drivers about payment.

Dartford tunnel - South to North is free.

Travelling North to South you used to be able pull off at the little hut before the Dartford crossing Queen Elizabeth bridge toll booths and request for someone to chauffeur drive you over the bridge because you are scared of heights. Gone, like the toll booths

http://news.bbc.co.uk/local/essex/hi/people_and_places/newsid_8718000/8718612.stm

Edited by dvderlm

Yeti

My former employer decided they were going to stop reimbursing us for the toll because they didn't give receipts, and all expense claims had to have receipts.

Strangely they started paying them again when I started claiming the extra miles for going from Kent to Lincolnshire via Heathrow airport.

London brought in a Low Emission scheme which meant you couldn't drive a pre-2001 diesel van in there without paying a stupidly high sum of money. I found out that the first time you take one in and don't pay, they let you off and send you a warning letter. So I just started using a different shitty old van each time I went in.

xumado

It's now £2.50. There are quite a few signs after the crossing reminding drivers about payment.

Dartford tunnel - South to North is free.

Travelling North to South you used to be able pull off at the little hut before the Dartford crossing Queen Elizabeth bridge toll booths and request for someone to chauffeur drive you over the bridge because you are scared of heights. Gone, like the toll booths

http://news.bbc.co.uk/local/essex/hi/people_and_places/newsid_8718000/8718612.stm

You have to pay both directions. Doesnt make a difference whether its north to south or south to north £2.50 each way mate

dvderlm

Oh ok :unknw:.

Not sure how I avoided it then.Heading south I remember paying online at Dover after crossing. Pretty sure I didn't use the Blackwall Tunnel or Woolwich ferry on my way back North. Maybe I prepaid for the return trip?

Christian6N

Yeah or maybe you'll get such a letter too from your Department for Transport.

:D

cheers

Christian

• Like 1

dvderlm

Naja, besser als meine erste Fahrt den Elzerberg hinunter.

Sprichwort:

"Warum fahren die anderen ploetzlich so langsam?"

Christian6N

Elzerberg kenne ich. Obwohl ja auch da alles gut beschildert ist.

Naja für Ausländer ist das immer etwas schwieriger.

Auf den Verkehr konzentrieren, aufs Navi hören, gucken wo man hin muss (Schilder).
Heute spricht das Navi mit einem, auf die Landkarte musste man früher gucken.....

Alles wird gut.

Mit freundlichen Grüßen

Christian

harris.racing

Its a bit annoying really. as you have to remember to pay it or stuff like this happens, but when i've had eventful drives to Germany etc the last thing on my mind is paying £2.50 for a toll back in the UK.

that said I think you can pay in advance, or more than one crossing at a time...so you could actually pay for 2 crossings for your reg before the poloshow and then not have to worry, ANPR will recognise each crossing and take the money out of the account for that vehicles reg. I think.

And yup, was always a pain not getting receipts eh!

xumado

Its a bit annoying really. as you have to remember to pay it or stuff like this happens, but when i've had eventful drives to Germany etc the last thing on my mind is paying £2.50 for a toll back in the UK.

that said I think you can pay in advance, or more than one crossing at a time...so you could actually pay for 2 crossings for your reg before the poloshow and then not have to worry, ANPR will recognise each crossing and take the money out of the account for that vehicles reg. I think.

And yup, was always a pain not getting receipts eh!

Yea that's right about pre paying. Also if you set up the account to pre pay its actually cheaper :) 30% less is what it was when I last used it but not sure if that's changed or not