1vw2many

Home made Mk2f GT exhaust mod ( straight through pipe )

1vw2many

I have asked a few times about this as my mid section on the exhaust scraps on the devil speed humps in my area..

So I had a go at modifying the center mid box exhaust. Here are the results ..

Made a jig so when middle section is cut out all will line up so then new section of exhaust pipe can be cut and tacked in , then remove jig and finish welding then grind down pigeon shit , coat of zink JOB DONE :D

If people are thinking why the hell didn't I just not cut box out and weld it up is because both ends of the pipe have kicks and different angles in it so the jig held it all in place after the center section was cut out . So this should fit same as original exhaust..

post-4280-0-59893300-1449412894_thumb.jp

post-4280-0-92189800-1449412922_thumb.jp

post-4280-0-33948700-1449412947_thumb.jp

post-4280-0-84048900-1449412971_thumb.jp

post-4280-0-03091100-1449412995_thumb.jp

post-4280-0-92699400-1449413032_thumb.jp

post-4280-0-49955900-1449413059_thumb.jp

post-4280-0-14544700-1449413080_thumb.jp

Edited by 1vw2many
  • Like 2

kwijibo_coupe

Looks good that :)

Much difference in sound?

Yeti

Thanks for putting this up - topic pinned.

• Like 1

1vw2many

I only just done it but will have to fit it another day as it pissing down so can not fit it till get dry weather , I let you know about the sound but I did not do it for that I did it so I can stop hitting speed bumps ..

Yeti hope it helps a few people out :good:

rico

With mine, decatted on a standard downpipe, straight through centre and a cherry bomb back box it was somewhat too loud in the car but not too chavvy from outside. Speedbump clearance was slightly better but it vibrated due to no flexi and bobbin mounts. Didn't like it at all, replaced the centre with a stardard, genuine vw part and fitted it nice and tight to the pan and it's just better, no clearance issues, no loss of power, and much smoother. It depends on how much silencing is in the tailpipe, I passed it on to my bud who has a powerflow on his gt and it's good, a bit better throttle response and much better clearance. The biggest difference to noise is getting shot of the cat (2f) but as it gives such a boost, what choice do you have?#

Matt G40

Nice little job there pal, another way is to put the exhaust on the floor and mark up reference points in whiteboard pen, aslong as your cutting skills are good it works spot on, we do a fair few box/cat deletes and tig weld them, so weld on jigs arnt an option.

1vw2many

Thanks mattg40 .. Did not know you could buy it , did not cost much new center exhaust was £18 ( you can use old one if needed ) and new mild steel straight exhaust cost £12 as for the jig cost nothing as had metal bar in workshop ..time one hour had nothing else to loose ..

The reason why home made weld on jig worked for me is that I did not want the two pipes moving from correct position after I cut out center box. This jig I made kept the same alignment from start too finish..

Edited by 1vw2many

kiran_182

It is a good home mod, the link was for people without the tools or skills to follow

dixy

Nice guide that is, made me want to give this a go

My middle box decided yesterday to detach itself from the car and fall off so I figured I would give this a go.

Can I ask where you got the centre box for £18? I asked ecp and they priced it at £48 and £57 for the rear box so not using the car until I save some pennies :(

1vw2many

Thanks I got middle center box off ebay brand name was bosal from ebay seller motorpartsni..

petegt1

It is possible to just use a piece of straight tube cut to length with a hangar welded on. Did this on my mk2 polo and it cost under £5

steveo3002

dont look much like its straight?

dvderlm

Nice guide that is, made me want to give this a go

My middle box decided yesterday to detach itself from the car and fall off so I figured I would give this a go.

Can I ask where you got the centre box for £18? I asked ecp and they priced it at £48 and £57 for the rear box so not using the car until I save some pennies :(

Seller allcars-online doing centre box for 55BHP 1984-90 model for £17.50

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vw-Polo-1-0-1-3-1984-1990-Exhaust-Centre-Middle-Box/291246048790

dixy

Tats awesome buddy, I will order one as a spare can't really go wrong with that price.

I did end up doing this too, but just chopped off the remainder of the box and took it to an exhaust place and they welded a nice new piece of pipe for £10. I did notice recently that there was supposed to be a hanger but the box didn't have one.

Ground clearance isn't an issue with mine as I'm not lowering it but I did notice a nice improvement to the sound, I wouldn't say it's louder as such just has a nice rumble and a little rasp on over run etc. I would recommend it with a standard back box especially if yours is rusty, broken or scrapes on speed bumps etc.

vr6crazy

Looking good, hope to see some videos with sound :)

Also is that a Bosal exhaust? ;-P

Adz.

1vw2many

Yes it was a brand new bosal exhaust.

vr6crazy

Yes it was a brand new bosal exhaust.

Yeah always used Bosal exhausts they also making racking for warehouses :) I went on a tour with work some years ago to there factory.