KOBpolo98

What grinds your gears

KOBpolo98

a051f0e59164618bafcaa326576a34e9.jpg

Seen this on another forum and thought it would be good to try here, what grinds your gears ?

Personally for me I hate people that do 30 mph in the right hand lane or when the volume of the car radio is not a multiple of 5 (don't ask) lol.

What grinds your gears ?

Edited by harris.racing
Title said you not your and OCD kicked in :)
  • Like 1

Vio

Middle lane hoggers. I am guilty of undertaking far too often on motorways for this reason.

I have a strange fascination with indicators. If you don't signal when necessary, I deem you to be the scum of the earth and wish you a head gasket failure. But a flash of the hazards redeems just about everything - you can cut me up to the point where you're an inch away from me having to write off my car, but if you flash your hazards to say sorry afterwards, then it's all good and we can be friends.

• Like 2

KOBpolo98

Middle lane hoggers. I am guilty of undertaking far too often on motorways for this reason.

I have a strange fascination with indicators. If you don't signal when necessary, I deem you to be the scum of the earth and wish you a head gasket failure. But a flash of the hazards redeems just about everything - you can cut me up to the point where you're an inch away from me having to write off my car, but if you flash your hazards to say sorry afterwards, then it's all good and we can be friends.

Thank god I'm not the only one that's won over by a flash of the hazards lol

Steve91

I get really pissed with people who drive about with high beams on ALL THE TIME. I see it a lot during the daytime as well.

I also saw 3 cars last night in Ipswich which didn't have their headlights on at all.

wizardmanjm

Yes...occasionally I turn in to the under-overtaking weaving about knob when I am late for something and on the motorway I am stuck between middle and right line hoggers doing 50-60mph and blocking my path! That has to be my biggest hate. 3 cars. same direction. same speed. DIFFERENT lane heading to the SAME place. where is the sense in that.

At 70+ I tend not to bother and I can wait till they eventually move and i wont turn into the hulk.

Another radio hate to add to KOBpolo's, I live in London so have no shortage of very good radio stations...there comes a time at least a couple times a week when every single one of my presets are on adverts or just chatting...and I have 8 presets to choose from!

Bring Chris Moyles back...I didn't mind radio 1 chat back then.

• Like 1

kwijibo_coupe

Since this is in the club house I'm going to try and keep my rants off the topic of cars.

Lots of things grind my gears though, I'm quite a grumpy old man at the ripe old age of 28.

Facebook - Facebook annoys me because it has turned into the medium that everything happens through. With most things now you can log in through Facebook, share it on Facebook, like it on Facebook. Which in turn shows it up on all your friends news feeds. But here is the thing....no one cares. No one cares you got a high score on Candy Crush, no one cares you like the new pizza restaurant in town. What annoys me more is the fact that over the last couple months I've gotten really into Facebook, when a notification comes through I have to drop everything and check it. So maybe I am starting to care what dull pointless things everyone is up to, which just fills me with anger! :lol:

Lazy people - Everyone has a lazy day, a day when they can't be bothered. But what annoys me is when people simply don't try, they just look at something relatively simple and their immediate reaction is "I can't/won't do that". I know people who refuse to change bulbs, fuses or do simple fixes on simple things, which is fine, but when they get someone like me to do it they won't learn. They would just rather go through life getting other people to do things so they don't have to get up and miss half an hour of day time TV.

YouTube - First off YouTube is a fantastic thing, I love it, I subscribe to lots of car and engineering channels and I think they are great. Very educational and saves you watching Jeremy Kyle instead. What annoys me though is the Vlog channels. The people who do them don't annoy me, I actually think they are very clever, but the people watching them annoy me and that includes my girlfriend. Millions of people sit and watch these guys, who were just normal people, hold a camera phone out in front of them as they go about their daily life. Why? They don't do anything spectacular half the time, they do pretty much what everyone else puts up on Facebook about their day to day life, just they film it all instead. Like I say they are very clever, some of them have millions of subscribers and chuck out daily videos. The revenue from the adverts must soon mount up doing that. But how is watching someone speak shit in their room, go round to a mates house and go out for a meal entertaining? Are people that easily pleased? If I didn't hate the sound of my own voice on film I'd probably start doing it myself :lol:

• Like 3

wizardmanjm

The Vlog rant is similar to those programmes, Geordie show, only way is Essex and made in Chelsea. Who wants to watch that?...it's not even a true depiction anyway which is why it also annoys me. All they do is talk crap all the time, my sister has met a few of the Towie cast and a few friends have bumped into the Geordie show cast and swear that in real life they are almost just normal people, it just shows how fake the shows are but at the same time they are smart for being involved for the money they get whilst doing it lol

xumado

Driving with front fogs on when it's not foggy!! I live and work a bit out in the sticks so there are very very few street lights so are blinding!

• Like 3

kwijibo_coupe

Driving with front fogs on when it's not foggy!! I live and work a bit out in the sticks so there are very very few street lights so are blinding!

I don't know if it happens elsewhere but around here a lot of the 'cool kids' like to drive around with side lights and front fog lights on. Every single one of them should be shot for doing so!

• Like 2

xumado

I don't know if it happens elsewhere but around here a lot of the 'cool kids' like to drive around with side lights and front fog lights on. Every single one of them should be shot for doing so!

Agreed, I mainly have farmers in 4x4s with main beam + fogs..

• Like 1

KOBpolo98

The Vlog rant is similar to those programmes, Geordie show, only way is Essex and made in Chelsea. Who wants to watch that?...it's not even a true depiction anyway which is why it also annoys me. All they do is talk crap all the time, my sister has met a few of the Towie cast and a few friends have bumped into the Geordie show cast and swear that in real life they are almost just normal people, it just shows how fake the shows are but at the same time they are smart for being involved for the money they get whilst doing it lol

That's one how that annoys the hell out of me, fuck I hate Geordie shore. Here's an episode sumed up, "basically a bunch of loud teenagers go out "on the pull" and start to drink. Once drunk one accuses the other of sleeping with someone and a fight/argument breaks out. Later when there all home they make up and are friends again.

wizardmanjm

That's one how that annoys the hell out of me, fuck I hate Geordie shore. Here's an episode sumed up, "basically a bunch of loud teenagers go out "on the pull" and start to drink. Once drunk one accuses the other of sleeping with someone and a fight/argument breaks out. Later when there all home they make up and are friends again.
Yup that pretty much sums up every episode of it, I watched a couple because a work colleague begged that I give it a chance, he thinks it's funny but I didn't laugh a bit.

I'm originally from there too, about 4 miles away from Newcastle City center, so I think that may be why I can see straight through all the shit. All the nights out and years living there I've never met anyone like that, just remember it all started from the American one jersey shore.

That's another that grinds my gears. The americanisation happening in the UK.

• Like 2

KOBpolo98

Yup that pretty much sums up every episode of it, I watched a couple because a work colleague begged that I give it a chance, he thinks it's funny but I didn't laugh a bit.

I'm originally from there too, about 4 miles away from Newcastle City center, so I think that may be why I can see straight through all the shit. All the nights out and years living there I've never met anyone like that, just remember it all started from the American one jersey shore.

That's another that grinds my gears. The americanisation happening in the UK.

Thankfully there's no americanisation over here in Northern Ireland (yet)

Another thing that grinds my gear is when customers ask ridiculous questions, (I work in a karting centre now and I'm frequently asked do the karts have turbos, handbrakes or nos. the strangest thing I've been asked is if they can recline the seat in the kart [emoji16])

• Like 1

gigisfan

Lots of things grind my gears though, I'm quite a grumpy old man at the ripe old age of 28.

Hahaha me too, but older (30) :D

However what grind my gears are people that, in car or not, try to overcome queues [emoji35]

wizardmanjm

Hahaha me too, but older (30) :D

However what grind my gears are people that, in car or not, try to overcome queues [emoji35]

Yupp, a queue is a queue and we are all in it together. Pointless undertaking and cutting up cars in merges before the start of bus lanes etc. Really gets me that one.

I'm generally a short fused grumpy bastard and have got out the car and ran towards another car that's pulled up to go mental and they have sped off probably thinking I'm a nutcase. Then afterwards I just laugh at how mad I got. My family reckon I may be bipolar [emoji38]

Vio

Oh, we can talk about jobs. Well I'm a pizza delivery driver, so naturally I have a metric ton of annoyances.

- People who don't have house numbers. Seriously, you can get some number stickers for pennies at B&Q. It should be a legal requirement.

- People who have house numbers, but they aren't visible. Hanging a potted plant in front of it, or having a dark brown number on a black door is counterproductive.

- People who spell out their house numbers for whatever reason, eg. "Eighteen" instead of "18". It doesn't make you look posh, it just makes my job harder.

- People who order delivery and leave their house in complete darkness. Turn your front light on at least.

- People who order £21 worth of food and think it's ok to pay with 2 £20 notes. No, it isn't. I only get a £10 float to use for change from the store, anything more comes out of my own pocket and it makes it hell for me trying to keep track of what's mine and what's work's money. And of course if I don't have enough. I have to go back to the store to get change.

- People who think I can read minds. I once had an order where the address was just "Leigh End" - which isn't even a street. So I put it into my satnav, drove out to where it sent me (some main road at the edge of town), rang the guy up and he said he was waiting in the carpark of a gardening centre a mile back up the road. How was I supposed to figure that one out on my own?

- People who don't anticipate my arrival. 2 weeks ago I had to stand outside for about 5 minutes in pouring rain and 40mph winds waiting for someone to answer the door. Eventually the woman came down and said she was upstairs and couldn't hear me knocking. Thanks for that.

- People who don't have their money ready. It usually takes half an hour or so between ordering and my arrival. That's more than enough time. I have actually had a customer get in his car and drive off to find a cash machine to get money AS I WAS WALKING TO THEIR FRONT DOOR 40 MINUTES AFTER THEY PLACED THEIR ORDER.

- People who are overly picky about change. I have indeed had a customer order £19.98 in pizza, paid with a £20, and asked for their 2p. ...really?

wizardmanjm

Oh, we can talk about jobs. Well I'm a pizza delivery driver, so naturally I have a metric ton of annoyances.

- People who don't have house numbers. Seriously, you can get some number stickers for pennies at B&Q. It should be a legal requirement.

- People who have house numbers, but they aren't visible. Hanging a potted plant in front of it, or having a dark brown number on a black door is counterproductive.

- People who spell out their house numbers for whatever reason, eg. "Eighteen" instead of "18". It doesn't make you look posh, it just makes my job harder.

- People who order delivery and leave their house in complete darkness. Turn your front light on at least.

- People who order £21 worth of food and think it's ok to pay with 2 £20 notes. No, it isn't. I only get a £10 float to use for change from the store, anything more comes out of my own pocket and it makes it hell for me trying to keep track of what's mine and what's work's money. And of course if I don't have enough. I have to go back to the store to get change.

- People who think I can read minds. I once had an order where the address was just "Leigh End" - which isn't even a street. So I put it into my satnav, drove out to where it sent me (some main road at the edge of town), rang the guy up and he said he was waiting in the carpark of a gardening centre a mile back up the road. How was I supposed to figure that one out on my own?

- People who don't anticipate my arrival. 2 weeks ago I had to stand outside for about 5 minutes in pouring rain and 40mph winds waiting for someone to answer the door. Eventually the woman came down and said she was upstairs and couldn't hear me knocking. Thanks for that.

- People who don't have their money ready. It usually takes half an hour or so between ordering and my arrival. That's more than enough time. I have actually had a customer get in his car and drive off to find a cash machine to get money AS I WAS WALKING TO THEIR FRONT DOOR 40 MINUTES AFTER THEY PLACED THEIR ORDER.

- People who are overly picky about change. I have indeed had a customer order £19.98 in pizza, paid with a £20, and asked for their 2p. ...really?

I actually creased laughing at some of those! at least it makes for a good story, some people are absolute tards. Although we are guilty of the number thing, its obscured most of the time by a hanging plant much like you described and nobody has got off their bum to move the number or hang the pot somewhere else...When I'm working on the polo I occasionally look and think...that needs doing..and then just forget about it :lol:

wizardmanjm

Liking this thread. Going to see if I can do a daily update to amuse some of you with what grinds my gears on a daily basis...I'm also off work now and haven't much to do. might keep it up for a week.

1. Fake kill bill 3 trailers getting me excited only to leave me disappointed as nothing is yet confirmed.

2. Hermes man lingered when I was working on my car and he was meant to just take a parcel...I was busy and he wouldn't leave

3. Girlfriends mother said "your spending too much money on that car" because occasionally I will buy something to the measly some of 20-30 quid or on a rarer occasion maybe 100 plus...Okay misses £70 haircut, £60 a week for a dog sitter, countless amounts of money on garden ornaments and crap

4.Nowhere to put my parts...getting nagged, Nobody wants them...don't want to throw them away

5. I'm too long for my bed

KOBpolo98

Another thing that I hate with a passion is people that drive the same car as the police do. Last night I was in town chatting to some mates in a car park. Went to turn my car so rain doesn't get in the window, half way through turning an insignia flys up and stops 2foot away with the full beam on. Safe to say I thought it was the cops :( anyone else hate this ?

• Like 1

wizardmanjm

Yeah, been there...I'm seeing more undercover cars about too and trust me...In surrey a police car can be just about anything on four wheels.

So there's a few that gets the heart pounding...nothing says police though like a vauxhall!

Edited by wizardmanjm

steveo3002

shops /takeaways etc

youve stood there in a line waiting for 10 mins then when its your turn to ask for what you want to turn to the kids/wife/trogladite and discuss what you want for tea

or they stand there with some good to pay for at the till , you know damn well its 1.99 or whatever so you could have the money ready , no stand there like a mong and then start rummaging about for your purse

people that stand there chatting about crap at the tills when theres a line behind them , just pay up and F off , they dont want to hear about little timmys xmas panto and your dogs irritable bowel

• Like 2

KOBpolo98

Yeah, been there...I'm seeing more undercover cars about too and trust me...In surrey a police car can be just about anything on four wheels.

So there's a few that gets the heart pounding...nothing says police though like a vauxhall!

Over here there driving everything, unmarked transit vans, unmarked Astras, unmarked boras. Even seen them the other night in a Prius [emoji87] what's the point in that like da7d2b8e6d2b31af1519dac307f45943.jpg

• Like 1

wizardmanjm

Can't say I've seen that yet

KOBpolo98

Can't say I've seen that yet

What even is the point like lol [emoji85][emoji86][emoji87]

• Like 1

kwijibo_coupe

Even a 1.0 mk2f would outrun a Prius! :lol:

• Like 1