chrisamayas

Insurance no claims bonus

chrisamayas

Hi guys,

A really weird question today that i can't find the answer to anywhere.

I have my polo insured currently with Admiral and i have 1 year no claims that i am using on that policy. This policy expires at the end of february

I'm buying a new car and selling my polo but my insurer wants to charge me a horrendous price to switch the new car onto the insurance for the last payment and its cheaper for me to set up a second insurance policy for the new car and keep the polo insured until the end of the policy.

The thing is, i want to remove my 1 years no claims from my polo policy and use it on the new policy. But when the policy ends i will also have another years no claims i will have earned for this years insurance.

So basically the two questions i have are:

Can i remove my 1 year no claims and use it on a different policy before the old one has ended?

Can i add the second years no claims that i will earn after the polo policy finishes onto my new policy after it has already been set up?

Or... Could i say that i have two years no claims on my new policy and by the time they request the proof my old policy will have ended so i will have the proof to show them? Or is this not a good idea?

Cheers guys.

kwijibo_coupe

Can i remove my 1 year no claims and use it on a different policy before the old one has ended?

I wouldn't have said so given the price you are paying just now is based on you having the 1 years NCB. If you go with the same company sometimes they can 'mirror' the NCB from your other policy.

Can i add the second years no claims that i will earn after the polo policy finishes onto my new policy after it has already been set up?

I'd have said you can't even include the years NCB you have with another policy as you can only use your NCB on one policy and unless you cancel, your insurer is unlikely to send you out proof of your no claims while you still have an active policy using that NCB.

Or... Could i say that i have two years no claims on my new policy and by the time they request the proof my old policy will have ended so i will have the proof to show them? Or is this not a good idea?

I wouldn't risk it for 2 reasons, first the insurance database, I don't know if they take a note of NCB on this but it isn't worth the risk of being denied insurance. Second if the proof of no claims is delayed in getting to you for whatever reason you risk having your new policy cancelled or paying extra on that due to not sending in your proof on time.

Also something else to note is if you do sell your car you MUST cancel your insurance policy on that car as 1 car cannot be covered by 2 separate policies at the same time.

Unfortunately they have you over a barrel with your pants on the floor, you agreed to a years insurance contract, changing that agreement means they can charge you what they like. You need to work out if it is cheaper for you in the long run to take the hit on changing the car or cancelling the policy and losing out on a second years NCB. Remember and factor in cancellation costs too, my experience with Admiral tells me this will be just as high as switching to the new car.

I personally would wait the month out, keep the Polo insured and then once you have your 2 years NCB insure the new car.

wizardmanjm

What I did is just insure the bluemotion with all my ncb and when the bready came back on the road I insured it without any ncb with admiral and then got a second quote where they are doing a multi car policy as soon as the bluemotion runs out (which is this month) and now the ncb is being used for both cars...I also checked what it would be individually with ncb on both cars and the multi car quote is about 40 quid cheaper!

chrisamayas

I wouldn't have said so given the price you are paying just now is based on you having the 1 years NCB. If you go with the same company sometimes they can 'mirror' the NCB from your other policy.

I'd have said you can't even include the years NCB you have with another policy as you can only use your NCB on one policy and unless you cancel, your insurer is unlikely to send you out proof of your no claims while you still have an active policy using that NCB.

I wouldn't risk it for 2 reasons, first the insurance database, I don't know if they take a note of NCB on this but it isn't worth the risk of being denied insurance. Second if the proof of no claims is delayed in getting to you for whatever reason you risk having your new policy cancelled or paying extra on that due to not sending in your proof on time.

Also something else to note is if you do sell your car you MUST cancel your insurance policy on that car as 1 car cannot be covered by 2 separate policies at the same time.

Unfortunately they have you over a barrel with your pants on the floor, you agreed to a years insurance contract, changing that agreement means they can charge you what they like. You need to work out if it is cheaper for you in the long run to take the hit on changing the car or cancelling the policy and losing out on a second years NCB. Remember and factor in cancellation costs too, my experience with Admiral tells me this will be just as high as switching to the new car.

I personally would wait the month out, keep the Polo insured and then once you have your 2 years NCB insure the new car.

I completely see where you are coming from but i'm getting the car from bristol and need insurance for the way home. Can't get temp cover as i'm 21 and driving a 2 seater sports car. I hate insurance.

What I did is just insure the bluemotion with all my ncb and when the bready came back on the road I insured it without any ncb with admiral and then got a second quote where they are doing a multi car policy as soon as the bluemotion runs out (which is this month) and now the ncb is being used for both cars...I also checked what it would be individually with ncb on both cars and the multi car quote is about 40 quid cheaper!

Multi car is good but i'll be selling the polo so i won't need it insured after i sell it.

steveo3002

any chance of a mate /dad driving it home with day insurance ?

uk car insurance really is a stinker

chrisamayas

any chance of a mate /dad driving it home with day insurance ?

uk car insurance really is a stinker

At my university address so no unfortunately not.

I've decided to bite the bullet and get shafted for my last payment and then switch provider when i get my 2 years no claims!

DAN@ADRIAN FLUX

Hi,

If you need any help with insurance for your new vehicle then please feel free to drop me a line. I'd be only too pleased to try and help.

Regards,

Dan.

chrisamayas

Hi,

If you need any help with insurance for your new vehicle then please feel free to drop me a line. I'd be only too pleased to try and help.

Regards,

Dan.

I did try Adrian flux but they came in at the £1600 mark which was a fair bit more than some others.

Thanks though!

DAN@ADRIAN FLUX

Hi,

Sorry we couldn't help but thanks for giving us try though.

Regards,

Dan.