c.w.pritchard

Can someone point me in the right direction

c.w.pritchard

I'm looking to replace the external fuel pump on my 1991 coupe gt but not having much luck. The part number is 867906091 which I know has a different pressure required for a 1.3 compared to the 1.0. This is running at 2.5 bars according to the Haynes manual. If anyone could please direct me to a web site or link I would appreciate it. Thanks

post-15736-0-31838000-1455292635_thumb.p

steveo3002

G40 ONE on ebay if thats any use

c.w.pritchard

Thanks

dixy

Any in line fuel filter will do. Mine was meant for a ford Monroe tdci and is no doubt more powerful but fits and works well.

There are many universal fuel filters on eBay etc some have the same sized inlet and outlet and will likely only need you to chop the wiring and crimp on small ring connectors.

Having looked up the differences between Bosch universal and Bosch specific fit the only difference is the connector (if it's the same output power of course) and generally the universal ones are around £100 cheaper then the OE just for a plug and play connector.

steveo3002

yeah my mate runs a ebay one on his

if you want the exact one in a vw box its gonna cost you

steveo3002

mate looked it up

bosch number is 0 580 453 918

vw number 867906091, nla since 2013, was 70+VAT at that time

c.w.pritchard

Great. Thanks, I'll look into it.

steveo3002

few options on ebay if you punch in

0 580 453 918

c.w.pritchard

Is there a difference in the pressure rating for the pumps? Did I read somewhere that the 3f engine needed a pump with 2.5 bars pressure? Looking at some of those on eBay linked to the number 0 580 453 918 the pressure rating is only 1.1 bars. I'm confused. Says is compatible with 1.3 Kat and g40. Could you please shed some light on it. If so there are a few for around the £60 mark plus post from Germany which is really cheap compared to the £200 odd quoted elsewhere.

steveo3002

best of my knowledge is that its the 2.5 one you want

will ask my mate when he's online to confirm

you can use the k jet pump if youre prepared to change the plug , thats what i plan to do

steveo3002
c.w.pritchard

Thanks. Doesn't specify that it is rated at 2.5 bars pressure? Others on the web say they are compatible but when you dig further the pressure is often just 1.1. Will look into this and a sk my usual garage to do some research too. Thanks again.

c.w.pritchard

Just reading around the pump issue and looking at the wiring diagram I noticed that there is an earth connection labelled E8 on this image. Anyone know where this is located on the car as I would like to clean it up and see if it helps the running of the pump

post-15736-0-10939200-1455903307_thumb.p

steveo3002

post 12 is the right part number so should be bang on correct unless the seller is a liar , which does happen from time to time

c.w.pritchard

Any idea where the earth E8 is locate?

steveo3002

not really...if i had to guess id say maybe near the tail lights area

shouldnt be too hard to see what direction the wires go and trace it

c.w.pritchard

Traced the cable along the back of the car below the tail gate where it disappears into the passenger side of the back seat area?

steveo3002

might be earthed under the quater panel trim , its easy enough to pull apart

maybe some one will know a bit more

nige8021

E8 Luggage area left side according to Autodata ??

c.w.pritchard

It is also earthed with the in tank pump according to the wiring diagram. Will look under the rear seat and follow the brown cable from there. There is an earth near the passenger rear light from memory?

c.w.pritchard

Well. Spent more time on the manual and came across this. Should have spent more time on this. E8 is on the left side of the luggage compartment. Got it.

post-15736-0-17306200-1455963725_thumb.p

nige8021

Well. Spent more time on the manual and came across this. Should have spent more time on this. E8 is on the left side of the luggage compartment. Got it.

That's where I said it was last night :)

c.w.pritchard

Yep. Saw the wiring diagram too. Thanks

c.w.pritchard

So. Left side of the luggage compartment. Found the dirties connection I've ever seen. Full of wax oil and dirt. Also looking at the earth connection to the body work top left on the photograph.

post-15736-0-87891400-1456058619_thumb.j

post-15736-0-78403100-1456058637_thumb.j