c.w.pritchard

Can someone point me in the right direction

c.w.pritchard

Anyone got a working gt coupe used fuel pump they have to spare please? Having major difficulties with the car not starting in cold and damp. Pump not priming when ignition on. Car turns over no problem.

Looked at buying new replacement but so much choice and confusion. Also hugely expensive, needs to be 2.5 bars but contacted sellers and had no reply.

Done all the electrical contacts I can find with cleaned earths but still no joy. Car does start after an hour of fiddling. Next stage is to try replacing pump. Would like replace like for like if possible. Now getting desperate.

steveo3002

multimetered it at the fuel pump to confirm power is getting that far?

c.w.pritchard

Multimeter skill is not one of my strong points. What do I set the meter at and what readings am I looking for. This is a definite weak area in my skill set. Anyone got a video on this? I have looked on YouTube but they are all Americans.

Nothing against Americans but I just don't understand what they are doing!

Edited by c.w.pritchard

steveo3002

post a pic of the meter and we can point it out to you , its a very simple test

like what he does , but poke the test leads into the fuel pump plug while someone turns the key , you can also put the black test lead to the bodywork incase you have a bad earth on the car

Edited by steveo3002

c.w.pritchard

Thanks

post-15736-0-91587600-1456488416_thumb.j

steveo3002

ok so set it to the 20 thats at the 10 oclock position when its up the right way

you can confirm you have it right by touching the leads on the cars battery , you want a reading around 12.5 ish

c.w.pritchard

Thanks. I'll give it a go.

c.w.pritchard

Of course. It now starts first time every time. Does this regularly as if it only wants to work in warmer conditions. Right. Turned on the ignition and connected the multimeter as suggested. No reading.

Does the engine have to be turning over or does it just have to be switched on?

post-15736-0-63905300-1456494667_thumb.j

Edited by c.w.pritchard

nige8021

You should have power as soon as you turn the key to the ignition ON or Start

steveo3002

at least thats shown the wiring/relay is a problem

c.w.pritchard

Replaced the fuel pump relay with a new one from VW. Not sure why it doesn't start when the weather is cold or damp?

The thing is it started correctly as soon as I reconnected the plug and turned it over. I'm totally lost on this. Will have to involve a garage.

Edited by c.w.pritchard

steveo3002

start the car and wiggle/yank the wiring to see if it cuts out

you could also make up a lead with a switch to totaly bypass the cars wiring , flick it on and off a few times to confirm the pump runs every time you try it

from my experience pumps will sound terrible before they fail , if it sounds normal theres a good chance its ok

Edited by steveo3002

c.w.pritchard

Pump is noisy but works fine when it runs. I've done the wire wiggling all over the car from the relay side down to the pump connection. I have a mobile tuning guy I can call who will come out and do the electrical checks. Think I've had enough of stabbing in the dark and need a professional. This has been going on too long and I have other improvements I should be getting on with

steveo3002

i dont really see what a pro can do that you cant with the multimeter

if the relay is new , we can assume thats ok , pump is noisey when it works , id say that might want replacing and the rest is just wire that you can easily test

not much harder than diagnosing a non working light bulb really - switch , wires , pump

c.w.pritchard

Pump is such a costly item and again not sure which to buy. Manual suggests 2.5 bars pressure but not all give their readings in the adverts.

steveo3002

yeah the proper bosch one is expensive ...either that or take a chance on a no name ebay one , my mate has run one for a couple of years now and its fine so far

c.w.pritchard

Could you find out the one your mate is running please? Is it on a gt?

steveo3002

c.w.pritchard

Right. Didn't know that so could I buy a pump with a lower pressure rating?

Ps. I like the price of the two links very much. That's more in line with my budget. Think I'll just order the silver one and put it on but I'd also like to know the one your friend has on his car.

Edited by c.w.pritchard

steveo3002

yeah i can find out next time we speak but might be a while

best look through all the ebay ones and try and match it up best you can , i think he needed a differant banjo end or something

you cant get one with a lower rating ..higher and the fpr deals with it , but it wont boost low pressure

c.w.pritchard

Delivered today and fitted. Gave it a test run and all seems well. It is noisy as it is a slightly larger diameter than the old pump and is touching the regulator. I'll put up with that for £17 ish compared to rediculous amounts for like for like swap. Time will tell.

This was the one I bought.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Universal-External-In-Line-Fuel-Injection-Pump-Bosch-0580464070-Replacement-/361025345369?hash=item540ec99759:g:uA4AAOSwofxUfQ7r

post-15736-0-13505000-1457364006_thumb.j

post-15736-0-12929000-1457364023_thumb.j

Edited by c.w.pritchard

vwfan3

Hi

The noise could also be due to the fuel filter. When was the fuel filter last changed.

c.w.pritchard

Yes. It's newish. Looks old but is covered in waxoly. The pump is slightly larger than the standard. I have a replacement that will go on but I just wanted to make sure it worked. Will need to reposition in the near future.

Edited by c.w.pritchard

c.w.pritchard

Anyone know where I can get one of these? Removed from the inline fuel pump when I replaced it with a universal fit. Tried vagcat but had no luck. Want to eventually put back an original.

post-15736-0-48299000-1458595299_thumb.j

nige8021

Search on ebay for "Junior power timer housing" around £2~3 with the sockets