mogness

1.4cl 6n insurance

mogness

Hi all, I need to know, are all 1.4cl stupidly expensive to insure? or is it just me? i got a quote from adrian flux for £5000 limited mileage, and £1250ish on one of those comparison site things. im paying £500 a year on my old car. but then again, that is really old. Any ideas?

just to clear things up I'm 21 and have 0 no claims. and i think its been lowered, cant quite work that one out. oh and pirelli P alloys. but i dont suppose wheels make much of a difference.

dvderlm

You don't say what your current car is.

Any mods drive up the price, way beyond reason.

Is 0 no claims bonus, because you had a claim? Or because you have not managed a year of main driver driving.

Your occupation and location plus your age will also play a role.

madnemo

if its just alloys and lows, try elephant insurance there was the cheapest when i was insured as a 1.0 with 0 no claims TPF&T. you can go cheaper with bell etc but it will involve them fitting a black box etc. Im now with brentacre insurance. might be worth ringing them too.

Nimal

mogness

My other car is a morris minor, and Its no claims because i haven't done a years main driving. and only had my licence 10 months.

I Was actually about to get an online quote from Brentacre but they need you to have one year ncb and had your licence for one year. also I dont think you can get a black box if the vehicle is modified, then again ive been wrong before. I've heard good things from Elephant I'll have to try them tomorrow.

I have coilovers, but the ride height is the same, must i declare it as lowered or non-height modifying suspension changes, or something ridiculous like that?

madnemo
16 minutes ago, mogness said:

My other car is a morris minor, and Its no claims because i haven't done a years main driving. and only had my licence 10 months.

I Was actually about to get an online quote from Brentacre but they need you to have one year ncb and had your licence for one year. also I dont think you can get a black box if the vehicle is modified, then again ive been wrong before. I've heard good things from Elephant I'll have to try them tomorrow.

I have coilovers, but the ride height is the same, must i declare it as lowered or non-height modifying suspension changes, or something ridiculous like that?

You should have insured the morris minor on classic insurance and use the 1 year no claims on the polo, or multi car insurance? yeah declare all mods like suspension and alloys just incase someting happens, your all covered. when i was with elephant i was paying under 600 a year with 0 no claims TPF&T then again i was 28 then. alloys and suspension when i got quoted was extra 50 in total.

Edited by madnemo

mogness

yeah, the moggy is on classic with adrian flux, but i was a named driver up until a few months ago, so i haven't  been able to get  the no claims  because of that. I just don't get how they can get away with charging people 5 grand. especially if its young drivers, i cant imagine that many 21y/o, or even 18, have  £5000 just laying around and even if you  pay monthly that's still £400 odd per month,  which is ridiculous. £1200 isnt as bad, but still out of my price range :D I'll give elephant a call  today at some point. probably  still  too expensive ahaha

Thanks for  your help. 

Edited by mogness

residentmelon

Insurance is one of those things that depends on a lot of factors tweaking you job description is a good one when i was younger adding my mum as a second driver reduced the insurance. The below link has some good advice. 

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/car-insurance/#costcut

Insurance is one of those things you have to shop around for and is all about risk to the insurance company having to pay out. being 21 and a male with a modified car you are branded as a high risk. Depending where you live city center using your car at peak time your at high risk of having accidents. 

£1200 is not that bad but call another company and say you had a quote for £1000 and see if they bet it. Then call back the original company and drop that price again play them off each other never expect the first price. the insurance company will have a base price and put a markup on it, knock them down closer to the base price.

Good luck 

VdoubleU

£1,200 for your first year with mods and 0 NCB is a bargain tbh.