sleag40

Vauxhall Cavalier

sleag40

Got a bit more stripped down this afternoon. Cam belt covers, belt, sprockets and water pump followed by the thermostat housing. 

bde7c53a647a.jpg 

Annoyingly, one of the little bolts that hold the thermostat cover down cracked the lug that contains the threads when I wound it out. Hopefully a mate can repair it for me with his TIG set, if not I'll be trying to find another housing. Part no. 90220434 88-1  😞

The lower outer part of the cam belt cover is missing, as well as several of its metal clips. The "wanted" list begins! 

9f81f827571b.jpg 

Also required - 

Cam belt,

Water pump

Gasket set 

Thermostat

Crankshaft pulse sensor

All for 1.8 SE. Any help sourcing these bits would be most appreciated.

Edited by sleag40

sleag40

A little more done today - the insides of the wings received a coat of epoxy mastic. 

f560bbb01e56.jpg 

Back to the engine, first up all the wiring was removed 

e7e55e9858ce.jpg 

Then the inlet manifold came off. 

ac02ab2cbfc1.jpg

This leaves me with a large amount of cleaning to get through, but due to a weekend away, it won't be getting done for a while! 

85bc1d25b243.jpg 

sleag40

Seriously cold/damp grimness this afternoon, but still managed to beat the urge to go home. Lots of messy clean ups to do, so I decided to let myself in gently with the starter motor and alternator bracket. 

12c387fe1eae.jpg 

The starter motor will be painted satin black, and the alternator bracket will be getting a rub with a scotch pad to brighten it up a bit. 

After ignoring it for a fair while, the horn is now ready to paint. 

9d0dfd42299b.jpg 

A cambelt, water pump, thermostat and gasket set are now on their way, and a mate has given me a crank pulse sensor. It's from  mk3 cavalier - it's plastic instead of metal, but fits the hole, and the plug is the same. I don't know if this will work - if anyone can advise me on this, I'd be most appreciative. 

7b09b2ec3e19.jpg 

c298b5a4ecee.jpg 

Mk3 one on the left.

sleag40

Got a bit of time on the bead blaster today to clean up a few bits and pieces. 

1e8cd68f009d.jpg

The flywheel cover got a bit of silver engine enamel before available time ran out. 

ae4ff11a1f6c.jpg 

I'll hopefully get the other bits painted some time this week. 

sleag40

Black bits painted in engine enamel. 

9444a3ee1551.jpg 

Exhaust manifold was blasted yesterday, (cheers Dave!) and sprayed with high temperate paint at work this afternoon. 

daf9d5b8fd08.jpg 

a67f58a46c19.jpg

More freshening up of filthy stuff coming soon.

• Like 1

sleag40

Procrastination took up most of the available time today. I did manage to get the alternator cleaned up though. 

d1487f096709.jpg 

I'll be blasting and painting the fan, pulley and tensioner arm in the week to smarten them up a bit - the main body came up well enough to leave as is.  🙂

Edited by sleag40

sleag40

More cleaning done over the last couple of days - first was the engine wiring loom. 

39fdd00b9c68.jpg 

Never knew that the injector plugs were yellow until now!

All the coolant hoses and hard pipe were then dismantled and given a thorough cleaning, they came up surprisingly well. I need to swap out a few corroded jubilee clips before they go back into service, the pipes were then reassembled so I don't forget how they go. 

ba73564c38b0.jpg 

The starter motor was then given a couple of coats of engine enamel. I'll be using the same stuff on the engine block when I get round to cleaning all the crap off it. 

9d709165a122.jpg 

More cleany/painty stuff to follow! :) 

sleag40

Finally got some paint on the horn. As you'd expect after being so rusted, it's severely pitted - but does look a lot better than it did. 

49e01e5e34a6.jpg 

The alternator bits have been blasted, painted and put back together. Looks pretty reasonable now. 

be8f96ab226c.jpg 

Made a start on the inlet manifold + associated gubbins. 

4f4251bbb5a8.jpg 

Got it all stripped down, now just need to pretty it up a bit. 🙂

3e33280a98a6.jpg 

sleag40

Way colder than is bearable for long down at the shed this afternoon - an hour or so was enough for me. Inlet manifold relieved of 99% of its coating of muck. 

6b56bb2b40e8.jpg 

I'll finish it off with some alloy wheel cleaner another time.

sleag40

Finished cleaning, then reassembled the inlet manifold stuff. It looks a bit nicer than it did last week! 

a335cb96d68e.jpg 

I also got the cam belt covers cleaned up ready to put back on - still on the hunt for the missing lower outer part. 

d397811ef225.jpg 

I had a bit of a trial with petrol/diesel mix for cleaning the head/block. Its no better than neat petrol, but there's a free supply of it available to me at the moment. 

28b4a7b32c85.jpg 

Before I left, I cobbled up a blanking plate to stop crud falling into the engine now the dipstick/breather has been removed. There's gonna be a fair bit of muck flying about when I get stuck in to cleaning this thing!

76e5764c3e3c.jpg 

kiran_182

You really do go all the way

sleag40
On 22/11/2019 at 21:06, kiran_182 said:

You really do go all the way

I do - but not on a first date!  🙂

Managed to make a bit of progress cleaning up the lump this afternoon. 

69a000eaa456.jpg 

3c5e88f0a401.jpg 

The plan is to get the top end satisfactorily clean and leave it as bare alloy. The bottom end will be done in black engine enamel. (still a long way to go until its all clean enough)  😞

Edited by sleag40

sleag40

Time has been in short supply again this week, but I've still managed to get a few bits done. 

Made a start bare metalling the block. 

b633687bac2e.jpg 

Smartened up the HT lead clips that bolt to the camshaft cover. 

daf1709b3307.jpg 

Breather pipe/dipstick tube, its bracket to the block as well as the dipstick itself have now been blasted and painted up. 

09ae0375d1c8.jpg 

In other news, I spotted another new wheel trim on ebay, having a spare one can only be a good thing. 🙂

86ead3b9d40c.jpg 

Jim1500

You're going totally stock then dude! Refreshing to see a nice stock MK2 and not something lowered or made into an sri rep

sleag40
7 hours ago, Jim1500 said:

You're going totally stock then dude! Refreshing to see a nice stock MK2 and not something lowered or made into an sri rep

Theres very few of this model left - I think preservation is the best plan for it. 

All oil + paint now removed from the block. 

a81bcf5f40ea.jpg 

a5f7a46a1974.jpg 

cfe570e92b20.jpg 

Just needs the rust wire wheeling back to shiny metal and it can be painted. Probably gonna have to leave that until it warms up a bit though - far too cold to paint anything in there at the present time.   :(

sleag40

Not had any time for this until this afternoon. The core plug that sits behind the starter motor looked a little suspect after I took the wire brush drill attachment to it. It was rust pitted much worse than the others, so it was ousted. 

d44ea57b7f76.jpg 

A full set was procured from ebay 

abc0f60427eb.jpg 

And the dodgy one was replaced. 

e79252f2ddd5.jpg 

Hopefully I'll get this painted at the weekend.

sleag40

Block now has 2 coats of engine enamel on it after a mammoth wire brush/cleaning session. 

cacf46d93f18.jpg 

22dcea68d207.jpg 

Should get the sump pan painted tomorrow, so I can start putting it back together next week hopefully. 

sleag40

The missing part of the cam belt cover plus the clips arrived this morning. Many thanks to Keith at Vauxhall Green Parts. 

cc8673e20010.jpg 

Sump pan now cleaned and painted. 

88338810f3ed.jpg 

Just waiting for a stat housing to arrive, and it can go back together. 🙂

• Like 1

sleag40

Replacement thermostat housing arrived today thanks to a top bloke called John off mk2cav.com. I gave it a quick bath in petrol, then a cheeky bead blast to leave me with a ready to fit part. 🙂

ab380e64704d.jpg 

8e1ed6ef5ae9.jpg 

Hopefully it won't be too long before the engine is reunited with all its parts. 

sleag40

I was hoping to get the motor built back up this afternoon, but thanks to good old ebay, the cam belt and water pump were wrong. The ebay fitment check is clearly not to be relied on.  😞

9cadf8a4cc27.jpg 

6d9764b4d4d4.jpg 

Although its tempting to clean and refit the old one, I'm gonna have to play water pump roulette again.

Edited by sleag40

sleag40

Correct cam belt and water pump went on yesterday, alternator and some odds and sods went on today. I just need to remember to take my torque wrench with me next time, then I can finish the engine jobs off.

da3db1f95510.jpg 

c1695ddeb95a.jpg 

sleag40

Managed to find a new manifold to downpipe gasket on ebay.

23fb52683ef6.jpg 

Then threw the remaining parts back on the lump. 

fa48480975ac.jpg 

d41449ce87eb.jpg 

7daa78f65a79.jpg 

Just needs the loom fitting, and the cambelt covers cleaning again, and it's ready to go back in when the time comes.  🙂

Edited by sleag40
  • Like 1

Jim1500

class! excellent work as usual😎

• Thanks 1

sleag40

Playing with scooter parts, 

8aa2659a5f59.jpg 

job hunting, and numerous other endeavours have all but stopped play on this. I did get a little bit of time for it today though, so made a start on the crusty fuel pump/filter arrangement. 

9190188304bf.jpg 

One of the rubber mountings required a bit of grinding to get it off, but other than that it all came apart nicely. I have a new fuel filter to go on, and the pump cleaned up well, the crusty bits will be blasted clean and painted up at some point. 

d56e41141f27.jpg 

Its kind of satisfying to have made a start on this assembly - I've been threatening to do it for months!

sleag40

Dug this out of hibernation this afternoon thanks to a completely dry, sunny day. 

745889e79aa0.jpg 

By the time 50 miles worth of enjoyment was had, it wasn't so sunny anymore, but it stayed dry. 

9a41ee9204f4.jpg 

^^^ colour of the car looked very different in murky light conditions.