Sign in to follow this  
steveo3002

90A alternator onto mk2 /2f how to

steveo3002

if anyone is intrested this is the alternator that is almost a direct fit on polos

its from a passat /golf diesel late 80s /early 90s

get the alternator and swap all the pulley/washers over from the original  , then you will find the upper bolt hole is 10mm vs 8mm on the old one , you can either purchase some sleeve bearings for a few pence to push in and convert to 8mm or drill your mount and use the 10mm bolt

lower bracket will need a m8 bolt and washer on the early polos without the toothed wheel adjsuter

belt ...well they seem to vary , seems i need a 690 x 10 mm , but my mates gt fits with the original so be prepared to mess with that (same pulleys but bigger alt doesnt allow so much movement to slip belt on)

i also upgrded the wire to 4 guage  

3_f.jpg

Edited by nige8021
Belt size
  • Like 3

steveo3002

okay more info

standard belt should fit standard engine - mine needs a differant belt as the abd has some extra bosses cast on the engine block that prevents the alternator swinging as far as it needs to

• Like 1