Classifieds - We'd like to remind everyone that we do not handle any transactions on the forums. If there is a car or part that you've seen or selling, you press the contact advertiser and then talk via PM's. If you're offered money please do so via CASH or PAYPAL and meet in person. You'll receive an email notifying you that you have a PM, you must return to the forums and answer the PM (Private Message) NOT THROUGH YOUR EMAILS!

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
AveryCates

6N2 Power Steering Rack Banjo Bolt size & thread?

7 posts in this topic

Hello,

Just wondering if anyone knew what size and thread the banjo bolts for the 2 metal hydraulic lines that are attached to the rack? (see picture below and circled in green)

Capture2_zpsqtnpgdnq.png

They aren't listed in the online VAG parts catalogue

Capture_zpsbzdlyf9c.png

I undid them with a 13mm spanner, so I would have thought M8...but when I tried blanking the hole, before I painted, with another M8 it was way too small. So i guess M10? but I don't know they pitch?

I would just use the old ones, except I rounded 2 of them getting them off and now need replacements.

Edited by AveryCates

29 minutes ago, nige8021 said:

Nope, that is the same diagram I have seen. It tells you bolt sizes for the hoses from the pump to the rack. But doesn't quote the bolt sizes for the 2 little metal hydraulic lines bolted to the body of the rack....

Yeah, thinking about it, they won't list them as they are part of the whole rack assembly, I think you'll find they are fine thread 1.0 at least the banjo bolts for my brake calipers were, as I bought  M10 & M12 x 1.0 taps to clear the threads  

I've just been outside and gone through all my bolts, I have bolts from the calipers I have just taken off the car. They are M10 x 1.5...correct size too coarse pitch.

Also some from my G60 calipers I've just put on, M10 x 1.00.....the pitch is too fine, so I guess it is in the middle at 1.25?

Thanks for mentioning calipers Nige, it got me thinking!!

Have you got a thread gauge to double check ? might be some weird imperial thread !!

I haven't got a thread gauge unfortunately, I'm going to get a M10 x 1,25 bolt to check before purchasing new banjo bolts!