MartinB

1991 Breadvan GT

MartinB

I spontaneously bought another Polo this week... I recently had a mk2 that I sold in June due to buying  our first house (once it's built later this year!) and needing space, funds etc 

I came across this lovely little Breadvan GT advertised on the forum and got in touch a few times with the owner, Ben. I finally caved in and made an offer and the rest is history!

This is the third GT Breadvan i've had and probably the most original as well. It's done 74k, with head gasket, cambelt, water pump replaced last year for good measure when previous owner Ben bought it.

My plans for her aren't excessive - I will fit a spare 4 branch, straight through centre pipe and G40 rear section that I have lying around and add a chip from PPP to add to the fun factor! I also have an uprated wiring loom with some Osram Nightbreaker ultimate bulbs as well as a good service.

Bodywork is OK - a few scuffs and a dent on the rear quarter but all in all, i'm happy.

RBBhu8A.jpg

0WhZEjs.jpg

hmarj6H.jpg

SY1i6Gu.jpg

UC7LDj9.jpg

pGjjdVE.jpg

List of bits and pieces so far that i've dug out of storage:

gRKD51p.jpg

Elijah

This was for sale not far from me.  Bargain price for what is a rare car.

kiran_182

Breadvan is a nice shape, never got the love when released

MartinB

Thanks all! Last night I checked over the spare interior that came with the car and gave it a clean, hoover and then fitted it. I also de-wipered the bootlid and fitted a grommet in place of the wiper.

Building up a pile of service items: spark plugs (on order), dizzy cap, rotor arm, oil filter, thermostat, HT leads which i'll fit in due course...

As it's a new month I will get it taxed ASAP and also insured :)

MartinB

Had another good session on the Polo last night. Fitted my relayed headlight wiring loom and Osram nightbreaker unlimited bulbs. dug out my under bonnet insulation/sound deadening  material and also fitted a leather oem gearknob.

Couple of pics below:

Sound deadening/engine bay:

agPuFdi.jpg

Dewipered bootlid from the other day:

NWiveAa.jpg

Seat cleaning/fitting sesh:

nMH15A1.jpg

woodster

Hi, I have a 1991 bread van, very original with a genuine 58,000 on the clock and in good nick. A great car and will be going when I've popped my clogs ! Runs a treat but due to no power steering etc.. the missus doesn't rate it but what does she know.

Seriously thinking of selling. Anyone intersted or know of anyone ?

Cheers 

MartinB
4 minutes ago, woodster said:

Hi, I have a 1991 bread van, very original with a genuine 58,000 on the clock and in good nick. A great car and will be going when I've popped my clogs ! Runs a treat but due to no power steering etc.. the missus doesn't rate it but what does she know.

Seriously thinking of selling. Anyone intersted or know of anyone ?

Cheers 

Hello!

Pop a post up and provide some details and pictures and i'm sure you may get some interest.

Martin

MartinB

Been insured and driving about for a couple of weeks now - the second day of having it on the road it broke down (en route to a family funeral LOL). Turns out the blue temp sensor O ring wasn't fit for purpose and coolant was leaking from the thermostat housing there the sensor clips in. Luckily the RAC man had a spare O ring that fitted and away we went (missed the funeral though).

Apart from that she's great - i'll hopefully get round to servicing her at some point... I've got everything needed and just need to get on with it!

JQbq83Yh.jpg

Met @wizardmanjm last weekend too - the old interior from the GT is in his capable hands!

Elijah

Already looking great.  It's in good hands.

MartinB

Had an interesting week or so with the Polo - I fitted a replacement chip last Wednesday evening and it wouldn't start, put the old chip back in and nothing - and then it fired up when I re-fitted the new chip. No idea what happened but I believe the old chip must've got fried.

2 weeks ago I installed the 4 branch, straight through section and a stock G40 backbox - just need to seal the joints better than they are currently but i'm happy overall with how it looks/sounds.

Also fitted a cheeky twin USB and voltmeter :)

BZ9Wxx4h.jpg

c.w.pritchard

I have a new never fitted pattern part rear bumped for a 2f breadvan. Now moved to Surrey so it is nearer the centre of south east and is boxed and ready to go if you're interested?

image.jpeg

Edited by c.w.pritchard

MartinB

Took it for it's mot yesterday, failed on 5 things, of which 2 I consider to be beyond my mechanical limits (lol).

Brake light bulb (the missus told me that I had a brake light out just as I had parked up at the garage on Sunday and put the key through the letterbox :/)

Numberplate light was out - probably a dry joint and needs a tap as it was working fine recently

This is an interesting one which i've never had before: Brake pedal anti-slip provision incomplete rubber split (3.3.A.1b)

and the two that I couldn't repair are a CV gaiter and a brake hose replacement. Other than this lot, there were no advisories!

It's in with the garage for the work and retest so should be back with me in time for the weekend where she's going to get her belated service :)