TomCrow
I'm Tom from Cumbria.

I've just bought a 2003 1.4l 16v (100bhp). My previous cars were a 2011 2.0TSI Scirocco and a 2015 Polo GTi. Had a kid so needed to get rid of the hatchback to buy a family car. 

Bought the 9N as a bit of a project. I am planning on doing an engine swap for a VAG 1.8T in the distant future but for now I'm going to upgrade the brakes and suspension (lower it by 35-40mm)

Here is where I need some help. From what I've read I need to keep any new alloys around the 15-16" diameter but the upgrade brake kits state they require a 17" alloy to allow fitting. Does anyone know if fitting 17s would be detrimental to the drive or set up of the vehicle or if it would require any further modifications?

Thanks, Tom

kiran_182

To keep the same rolling radius you'd need lower profile tyres that will make it a shade less comfy but a shade more responsive

• Like 1

TomCrow
2 hours ago, kiran_182 said:

Thank you. I found the calculation I was looking for. Example (in case anyone was curious):

Tyre specs: 195/55R15

A = 195

B = 55

C = 15

X = A * (B÷100) + ((C*25.4)÷2) 

X = 297.75mm

The change is satisfactory as long as the new measurement is within 2.5% of the original. 

Edited by TomCrow

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• PoloDad
      By PoloDad
      Set of 4 Le Castellet Forged Alloys used on Golfs and Polos in the 80s 14 x 6J 4x100 ET 38 All are straight with no buckles and no cracks  Not show condition: some kerbing but could be with a minor refurb.    Tyres on the wheels are perished (do not advise they are used on road) but will supply 4 used 185/60/14 with lots of tread if you want them. Please study the pictures and if you have any questions get in touch. Collection only due to weight and size. From Emsworth Hampshire, but I do travel to work in Birmingham each week so I could drop off along M27,M3,A34,M40 (at a cost) Might sell individually if there were enough interested people.
    • KyumY
      By KyumY
      Hi 

I need some help finding some wheels fro my polo and maybe some help with the widest i can get my wheeks , and what diameter etc.
      I am looking for wheels with a wider offset or wider wheels. and some help on stretch tyres

Thanks for your help and time 
    • connor_warren
      By connor_warren
      Hello, 
                 I've recently purchased a decat pipe for my 2004 9N 1.4 tdi, has anyone had any issues fitting the pipe 

Thanks 

• Maliko
      By Maliko
      Hi all,

I am new to the forum 🙂

I own a 2002 Polo 9N and I am planning to convert it to a 9N3 face.

I am considering getting 9N3's:
      - Bumper
      - Headlights
      - Bonnet
      - Wings

Is crash bar needed too?

Thnx!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Terms of Use Privacy Policy Guidelines