breadvan baker

water temp gauge issue, bread van polo

breadvan baker

Hi new to the Club , but wondering if anyone has had problems with a bread van Polo water temp gauge indications?

Car arrived with temp gauge U/S. Bought a new temp sensor ( correct one as its a black, not blue, unit ) 

Start engine and the gauge then runs up to almost max water temp in about 15 seconds.

Any ideas please? Many thanks.

nige8021

First Welcome to the Forum.

If you disconnect the temp sensor, the gauge should stay at the full cold with the ignition ON, then if you short the two pins together the gauge should go to full hot, this will prove the wiring and the gauge 

breadvan baker
1 hour ago, nige8021 said:

First Welcome to the Forum.

If you disconnect the temp sensor, the gauge should stay at the full cold with the ignition ON, then if you short the two pins together the gauge should go to full hot, this will prove the wiring and the gauge 

Hi and thank you for the welcome and the suggestion too. I don't really suspect the gauge as what you say , is happening with the new sensor I have fitted. That's why I'm wondering if the ECP sensor is faulty. The car is around at my local garage waiting for some pre-MOT work to be done , but will give your suggestion a try anyway tomorrow and report back further. Thanks again, 👍

steveo3002

wouldnt be the first time ecp have sold dud parts that are rubbish out of the box

i try as hard as i can to not buy from them , if i do make sure its a known quality brand

steveo3002

you could try measuring the ohms/resistance when the sensor is cold , then again in some warm water and again in hot water....should be a noticable change as it heats /cools

breadvan baker
38 minutes ago, steveo3002 said:

you could try measuring the ohms/resistance when the sensor is cold , then again in some warm water and again in hot water....should be a noticable change as it heats /cools

Thanks for that advice, will try the new sender first as have returned the ECP part for a refund.  If I have the same result with the new part from a different supplier, then I'll have to think again.  Generally have found the ECP parts ok , but agree with your remark about choosing a "known" brand even if it is more expensive  ( Old adage, you get what you pay for!  ) 😉

breadvan baker

Ok, just to wrap this request up, after a few dramas yesterday which included the little Polo failing its MOT ( weeping brake master cylinder ) I could have wept too !! 

.....this morning fitted the new temp sender from eBay seller carpartsinmotion who provided a Febi sender. ( no connection to me I hasten to add ) all working perfectly at last.

Happy days. Now to get the brakes sorted and then we'll be on the road. Thanks for ideas and help chaps.

steveo3002

glad to hear it ...honestly ecp rubbish has caused so many issues for people , you fit new parts expecting them to work lol 

• Like 1