Fenris

Help with PAS Pipes Please

Fenris

Hi all,

I need some help with sourcing PAS pipes for my '99 6n1. My local garage can't get these, but they said that the metal ends had corroded on both pipes, so I need to replace both.

I did put a wanted up but no response as yet and I really need this fixing asap as I've only got the one car. I've looked on eBay for parts, but honestly, there are so many I have no idea what I need. There's this on eBay  but that's just one of the ones I need and I don't know what the other is. Haynes not helping me much on this.

Can anyone help please?

Thanks,

Fen.

Fenris

Hi nige8021,

Thanks for that, but it doesn't really help me as I don't know what I'm looking for in the first place. There are numerous pipes in that diagram and I really don't know what any of them are. I've tried looking at where I think these pipes should be (according to the Haynes), but I can't see them; I'm assuming they're under the engine block somewhere and can only be seen from underneath?

I don't expect people here to do the legwork for me, but if I knew what the pipes were called (garage just said one of them was high pressure) I could research for myself.

It was so much easier with the MKIII!

Fen.

nige8021

The high pressure pipe runs from the pump, across towards the battery then turns towards the bulkhead and then down to the steering rack #9A or #10 (if you also have Aircon) on that diagram & the return hose #7

• Thanks 1

LR5V

How on earth did the hose ends corrode? 

If you are really struggling hydraulic firms like your local Pirtek can replace the ends - but they need the hoses off the car + suspect a good 2nd hand part will be cheaper

• Thanks 1

caretakerplus

As LR5V says, and I have stated before on here, hydraulics firms will make up the pipes to pattern, but here is the rub - to have them made to fit well, they need to be taken off of the car without distorting them - and that is the problem. With the engine out of the car, it is a straight forward job, but with the engine in situ, I doubt that it is possible.

If the car is anything like due for a new clutch, (or any other reason to remove the engine) you could kill two birds with one stone and do both jobs together.

Regards

• Thanks 1

Fenris
On 22/11/2018 at 18:28, nige8021 said:

The high pressure pipe runs from the pump, across towards the battery then turns towards the bulkhead and then down to the steering rack #9A or #10 (if you also have Aircon) on that diagram & the return hose #7

Thanks, that's great!

On 22/11/2018 at 22:10, LR5V said:

How on earth did the hose ends corrode? 

If you are really struggling hydraulic firms like your local Pirtek can replace the ends - but they need the hoses off the car + suspect a good 2nd hand part will be cheaper

I don't know, I wasn't there to look for myself. But we're talking about a car that'll be 20 years old in a few months, so it's not unreasonable to expect some corrosion is it? I did live by the sea for a few years, might that account for it?

On 24/11/2018 at 15:49, caretakerplus said:

As LR5V says, and I have stated before on here, hydraulics firms will make up the pipes to pattern, but here is the rub - to have them made to fit well, they need to be taken off of the car without distorting them - and that is the problem. With the engine out of the car, it is a straight forward job, but with the engine in situ, I doubt that it is possible.

If the car is anything like due for a new clutch, (or any other reason to remove the engine) you could kill two birds with one stone and do both jobs together.

Regards

It's a moot point anyway as there isn't one near me; I'm not driving to Peterborough with no power steering! I went 5 minutes into town yesterday and that was enough for me!

Although he's old, he's done less than 80,000 miles, so I hope I don't need a new clutch just yet!

There are a few people selling 2nd hand ones on eBay, do you all think this would be the way to go? The ones from Germany (link in 1st post) are new, but would be pricey. Has anyone here dealt with any of the eBay sellers who break Polo's?

Thanks again to you all for your replies and sorry I didn't respond sooner, I've been battling the worst sinus infection I've had in years!

Fen.

caretakerplus

The only second hand 'distance buying' that I have done, is from Stevens VW Dismantlers of Chelmsford, they are reliable and have a good reputation.

Regards

• Thanks 1

Fenris

Thanks caretakerplus, I've had a look and that's one of the eBay sellers I was looking at. I've contacted them to see if they have the ones I need.

One more quick question: I thought that the pump had gone due to the horrific noise it was making, so I bought a new one, but since it was the pipes not supplying fluid, rather than the pump itself dying, I wonder if it's worth replacing it? I'm erring on the side of caution and, since the garage will be fitting the pipes, might as well fit the new pump too. What do you think? Worth doing?

Fen.

nige8021

If the pump has been run semi-dry then it would of caused early wear internally, so if you have a new/replacement pump,  I would definitely replace it and get fresh fluid pumped through the steering rack to ensure any debris is flushed out

Fenris
On 29/11/2018 at 18:39, nige8021 said:

If the pump has been run semi-dry then it would of caused early wear internally, so if you have a new/replacement pump,  I would definitely replace it and get fresh fluid pumped through the steering rack to ensure any debris is flushed out

Hi again,

Hope everyone had a good Xmas and New Year?

Thanks Nige8021, that's what I was thinking, just wanted to be sure.

I know I said I'd try and sort this on my own, but it's been weeks and I'm having no luck. The closest I've come is finding this website: EU Spares Steering Hoses The first two on the list seem right; they say they'll fit. But they don't match up with the OEM numbers you posted on that diagram. Are the RHD and LHD significantly different?

I've tried to use the car as little as possible, but I live in the country and there's no bus service in my village so I really need my car. Driving without the PS is a struggle, but I'm more worried I might end up breaking something else, something more expensive! I need to get into town for some shopping, so wondered if it's OK to make short trips or will I end up doing more damage?

Thanks again for all your help, it's really appreciated.

Fenris

Well, this saga just keeps rolling on. I managed to get some pipes from a chap who makes them to order (powersteeringstore.co.uk if anyone else needs them in the future), had the pipes and new pump fitted last Wednesday but, because nothing's ever easy, there was a problem; pump only works at high revs. Garage said they could put the old pump back on, but we both agreed to see if the new one bedded in. Took it round to Aldi and it seemed OK; little heavy on parking, but not too bad, so I thought it would be alright. Ha! Hadn't been out until yesterday, when I went up to Newark for a few hours. Everything seemed OK until I pulled into the retail park there and it was like parking a tank.

It's also making this odd noise when using lower gears. It's kind of like... I'm not sure this is right, but on cars that have a hydraulic system they make a noise like "pishhh" when changing gears? Sort of low squeak? It's doing that until third gear, then fades when in forth and fifth when it's quiet. Never heard this sound before!

So I don't know what to do at this point. It'll cost me about £50 for them to put the old pump on and there's no guarantee that'll fix the problem. They said if it's not the pump it might be the steering rack, which will be over £400! I don't know if it's worth buying another new pump and trying that? Garage said the old pump should be OK, but I know you said above it might have caused wear, so I'm really not sure the best course of action. Can anyone advise please? I have a hospital appointment on 5th Feb I cannot miss and I don't know if it's advisable to drive the car in it's current state; I don't want to cause any/more damage to the rack.

Edit: Forgot to say, I was reading up a little last night and one website I read said steering can be heavy if the fluid isn't at the right level. Now, I'd assume that the garage would have ensured it was, but it's a possibility it's not. The site said to check the level, but I don't know if removing the cap will let air into the system? I know this is likely a stupid question to all the mechanics here, but I've never had to deal with power steering before so I really am feeling out of my depth! Starting to think I should have just bought another MKIII, THAT I could tinker with all day long!

Thanks.

Edited by Fenris

damunk

just check the level . open bonnet and youll see the green cap. make sure you dont destroy the cap when trying to open it. put a bar that will fit exactly into groove and open anti clock wise. check the level , think theres a dip stick level checker under the cap. maybe when they filled the the reseviour and you ran the car , the fluid went around the system and the level dropped and maybe thats why at higher rev the fluid get's wished around more allowing it to work.

your going to have to check level.