Eviljohn

Breadvan wiper linkage

Eviljohn

Hey polo people. Hope you're all very well indeed. Firstly, apologies if this is the wrong section. 

I have an issue with the wipers on my 1983 mk2 breadvan. Driver side wiper stopped working. I could move it manually with my hand from outside car. Passenger one was fine. Worked, couldn't move that one. I found what i thought was the right replacement part, (linkage and motor,) turns out the motor was the correct number, the linkage was the same number except the letter on the end is a B instead of the A that is the broken one. My question is, if i drill holes in the wiper arms slightly bigger to fit, and get retaining nuts that will hold the linkage in place where the wiper arms attach, will the part i have now, guessing it came off a year later car. Work okay? The plug for the motor seems okay. 

Are there any other options i can look at? I remember reading about single wiper conversion a while back? Any kit car set ups that fit?

Thanks for stopping by and any xp you are able to share. 

Take it easy.

dvderlm

Pretty sure it is a spline fitting from drive shaft to wiper arm.

I fear the  spline fitting is different, so to use B linkage you would need new wiper arms too.

Or transfer the new motor to the old mechanism (with some bearing mending?). 

Eviljohn

You're absolutely right. Replacement part i found had same motor but bigger spline. 13mm instead of 10mm. I couldn't find wiper arms to fit 13mm spline but same place managed to dig out 10mm linkage. 

Eviljohn

Turns out the spindle may not have been the issue. The driver side wiper arm has completely worn away inside the part that fits onto the spindle. So it turns just fine but has nothing to grip onto on the wiper arm. 

I considered cannibalising the rear wiper arm as it doesn't work anyway, but the base of the arm is rivetted on. 

I now have the linkage for 10mm AND 13mm wiper arms. Trying to find spare 10mm or 13mm arms now. 

Also found an old thread on here where a guy did a diy single wipe conversion. Basically took the driver side arm off, hacked off part of the linkage that connected that arm and adjusted the passenger arm angle. If i did that, would it be an mot failure? 

Are there any off-the-shelf single or even double wiper kits that bolt straight on? 

Just as an option at this point.

dvderlm

Bonrath or JOM  from Germany - might be available used (search for 86c einarmwischer)

Or this claims fits  Polo3 (mk2f)

http://www.autotintdesign.com/singlewipers.html

Eviljohn

Cool. Thanks dude. I actually looked at the autotint one earlier today. That's lookin like my next option. I'll have a looky for the Bonrath or JOM ones before i grab one for sure. 

Is there a massive difference between the mk2 and the mk3 linkage? I did google some images and they look pretty much the same.

dvderlm

Mechanism looks the same to me -just the splines old versus new. left hand drive versus right hand drive looks fairly similar but with mirrored sweep so not directly changeable. 

Should make no odds for single wiper, so long as your MOT tester is satisfied that the wiper rest position does not obscure driver's vision.

Eviljohn

Eviljohn

This is the thread i found earlier. Was considering it as a quick fix to get her back on the road until i can get it done properly. Either 2nd hand Bonrath/JOM or autotint. That's lookin like the main contender at the moment. May call them and see if they can send a pic.

Thanks for guidance so far. Very much appreciated.