c.w.pritchard

Just a quick question. I have oil gathering in the distributor cap and have bought the two seals to replace. Haynes says to set the engine to TDC before withdrawing the distributor body. However, when I had an issue with another distributor the RAC man just pulled it out on the roadside. If I make sure the locator doesn’t move when it comes off the engine is it fine to go ahead without the engine on TDC?

steveo3002

draw a pen line over the dizzy casing and head so that it goes back exaclty how it was..like mm perfect otherwise the timing will be out 

rotor arm only points one way so cant get it wrong really 

c.w.pritchard

Does it matter if the rotor arm goes around while I’m working on it?I know this car has an off set arm that rotates around the central shaft of the distributor.

dvderlm

rotor arm fits back into camshaft end in one position only. Either a slot or a hole depending on cars's age.

steveo3002

all that matters is the dizzy goes back exaclty where it was (assuming timing is correct now) as it can rotate to alter the ign timing 

caretakerplus

When removing the drive end of a distributor shaft, be sure to mark the shaft and the drive in order to avoid finishing up 180° out.

Regards

• Like 1

steveo3002

had that with my gt conversion...q hard to suss that out 

c.w.pritchard

Caretakerplus,

That’s my concern. If the rotor arm moves around when I’m fiddling with the seals does it matter if I just slot it in anyhow or does it need to be “exactly” as it came out? It’s a hole that the drive goes in and the timing is perfect at the moment.

steveo3002

a complete distrubtor only bolts on one way ...can spin the rotor all you want as long as you line it up to a pen mark like i said

IF you take it apart , you can fit the drive cog /pin 180 deg out so mark it or photo it  

c.w.pritchard

Thanks Steveo,

Ok. If I do the seal change with photos then if I make a mistake it will show up on the thread. Let’s see how it goes!

steveo3002

basicly mark it or note down where the rotor points when the cam pin /lug is at 12 oclock before you knock the roll pin out

caretakerplus

It does not matter if the rotor moves whilst you are fitting the seals PROVIDING that you have marked everything as stated by myself and others.

All that you need to do upon reassembly, is (1) align the marks between the drive end and the distributor shaft. (2) feed the distributor into its mounting hole - do NOT force it in - if it is reluctant to go in, either the outer 'O' ring needs more oil on it or the drive dog is out of alignment - if the latter, keep gentle pressure on pushing distributor in and at the same time, turn the rotor arm to align the driving dogs. (3) once the distributor is FULLY home, be sure to align the marks between the distributor and cylinder head before tightening the mounting bolts.

Let us know if there are any problems.

Regards

1vw2many
On 09/12/2018 at 17:03, c.w.pritchard said:

Thanks Steveo,

Ok. If I do the seal change with photos then if I make a mistake it will show up on the thread. Let’s see how it goes!

How did you get on with the dizzy .

c.w.pritchard

Unfortunately it’s had to go on hold for the moment. My brother passed away recently and I’m busy sorting out his estate. You won’t believe the paper work! Will post on the forum when I get round to it.

1vw2many
1 hour ago, c.w.pritchard said:

Unfortunately it’s had to go on hold for the moment. My brother passed away recently and I’m busy sorting out his estate. You won’t believe the paper work! Will post on the forum when I get round to it.

Very sorry for your loss. Take care at this difficult time.