Sign in to follow this  
damunk

Incorrect installation of rear crank main seal - part no

damunk

POLO 6N AFH 1997

I purchased a genuine elring seal: 028103171B

I purchased also a gasket: 026103181B

I did not use the gasket because it did not fit so i thought because the crank seal had a rubber lip on the inside housing, that they might have updated the design therefore not needing the gasket.

I got the part numbers from: https://volkswagen.7zap.com/en/rdw/polo+derby+vento-ind/po/1998-158/1/103-103005/#15

I also noticed that the actual seal that goes around the crankshaft was in two parts. a thin back seal and a front thin seal.  Not quite sure how you install that. Anyway got a pretty big oil leak.

Pictures below to show what i mean about the inner rubber lip on the housing.

crankseal.png.8e9f5c17e3b70b5e7c5d46ddc69959e7.pngcranksealgasket.png.8754024076ef64f27570cbd6e031f2e5.png

Edited by damunk

dvderlm

That gasket fits loads of engines. Must be a crush gasket as Haynes wants bolts tightened in diagonal pattern for my engine.

Looks like the holes match. How did it not fit?

Might oil come around a bolt from inside block but outside the thin rubber line?

damunk

just been on ebay. alot of the listing now state the rubber lip now acts as the gasket so no other gasket required.

the reason my gasket did not fit because if you look at the lower legs of the gasket they prize in a little. I was sold wrong gasket shape.

But the fact that I did not use the gasket should not have meant oil leak because the  rubber inner lip acts as gasket.

So I am not sure why oil is leaking there... Like i said before the actual seals that go around the crankshaft, happen to be 2 separate seals. 

All I did was push it on and bolt it up making sure i greases the rubber lips on the inner. so i hope i install correct.

Edited by damunk

damunk
18 minutes ago, dvderlm said:

Might oil come around a bolt from inside block but outside the thin rubber line?

nope, just main crankshaft bearing cap is behind there. two bolts but within the rubber lips of the crank seal housing

damunk

apparently you have to use the plastic sleeve that comes with the seal when installing. i didn't.

infact it's in the bin now.  i think it helps prevent the seals from folding over.

is it that crucial, have to buy a new seal.housing?

dvderlm

🤯 Would instant gasket work?

I've sealed rocker covers and sumps that were weeping, not big leak using good quality gasket from a tube.

damunk

i will use gasket aswell although i dont need one. will put some paste on too.

pulling engine out today and tomorrow so if leak is from middle around crank then obviously paste won't work.

dvderlm

Elring are good quality so very unlikely to be the rotating seal. Does not sound like you would have damaged it as easy to fit.

See what you find when it comes apart.