Dark Mode Now Availiable (Change via theme selector at the bottom of the site)
Sign in to follow this  
feeblington

Snapped control arm 6n2

feeblington

So after a drive i noticed my steering wheel was off centre and car was feeling lumpy and light on turning. 

Luxkily managed to limp it home 20+ miles at -20mph !

To find - see picture

Ive google for last few hours but no luck

How easy are these to change yourself and can anyone guide me?

Cheers peeps

20190202_170301.jpg

feeblington

Anybody?

Please

nige8021

They are quite easy to replace https://volkswagen.7zap.com/en/rdw/polo+derby+vento-ind/po/2001-240/4/407-407005/#1 the only problem can be with bolts # 5 & 6 but mainly #5 as the captive nuts can become corroded so the bolt just spins and won't undo, if that happens you'll need to cut access and then weld a new nut in place, but other than that, jack it up wheel off and suitably support the  chassis on axle stands, then undo the bolts #5 & 6 and remove the anti-roll bar #15/16 and the bottom ball joint # 8/9 

feeblington

Ithe ball joint wouldnt come out....the 3 bolts holding it to control arm...2 snapped one kept spinnibg. Had to hacksaw off. Every other bolt was like butter.

Finally persuaded it in without balljoint (old one was ok) 

What a nightmare... that is rated the same hardness as changing the egr in haynes.......what bollocks!!!!

Thanks again nige

nige8021

It's one of those jobs that'll either go like clockwork and it's done in 20 mins or if the bolts/nuts don't want to play ball it will be a PITA I've got to replace both the arms on my Octy (same setup) before it's MOT at the end of the month, so not looking forward to it !!