Phil H

This is my first post, so please forgive me if what I am asking is stupid and obvious, but I would dearly like some help please.

I have a Polo 6N2, on the N, and have decided to keep her going. I have had the car 11 years now and she has never let me down. The list of jobs is as follows:  replacing the subframe, the head gasket, the front down pipe( the flexible joint has gone) and the gear selector oil seal. I have done all the usual stuff over the last 11 years - brakes, wheel bearings, oil, exhaust, tyres, spark plugs etc, but nothing as major as a head gasket. Got myself a Haynes and bought a few new tools and we are underway!

Car's up on axle stands, nice and steady  and yesterday set about removing the subframe: All ready to drop off, it is hanging on the 2 large bolts now. Excellent. I cannot finish the job because there is a cable going through a bracket on the subframe and I cannot see how to get it off!

There is a cable that does something with the gear selection. My car has a rod for the main selector mechanism. The cable passes under the subframe and goes through a smallish bracket which appears to be welded to the subframe. Either side of the bracket are 2 large plastic bits with the cable and sheath going through the middle of them. To the front of the bracket it is tapered and about 15mm long, taper goes from about 19mm to perhaps 22mm. The other side of the bracket is a square plastic bit, this is probably 22mm, but I don't have a spanner that big to check! I cannot see any circlips or bits to depress to get these two parts apart, if indeed they do come apart or even if they need to!

Can anyone tell me what to do here please?

Many thanks

Phil

dvderlm

I'll try to be gentle.

Is there a coiled spring around each cable where it narrows?

If so -

Inside the spring are 3 fingers with serrated surface.

You can unlock the fingers and release the cables here. Just need to turn the knurled plastic knob 

(anticlockwise looking from cable to gearbox from memory).

See the source image

Phil H

Thankyou for 'gentle', but no need especially!

My gearbox is connected by a rod mechanism, and to the side of that is a cable. The rod and the cable connect to the gear lever. I suspect the cable enables reverse or something like that.At the gear box end it is connected to a transverse rod and the end of the cable has a lug that fits over it and is secured with a small circlip (which I dropped on the tarmac of course!)  It has no springs at the gearbox end, and I have not taken of the gear lever end to see what it has there. I need to remove the cable from the bracket on the subframe so I can replace the subframe and that is the bit I am stuck on at the moment. I can take a picture at the weekend if it will help?

Kind regards

Phil

nige8021

It should be a simple job of removing clip #45 https://volkswagen.7zap.com/en/rdw/polo+derby+vento-ind/po/1998-158/7/711-711030/#45  and pulling the cable out of the bracket

Oh and if it's on a N plate it's not a 6N2 it's a 6N1 

Phil H

OK - 6N! it is then and I will remember that, thankyou.

OK, my gearbox only has one cable going to it - a bit like cable 38 in the sketch you attached. The main selection is done with a proper rod connector, so we do not have 2 cables. The engine is an AEX (I am pretty sure)

Do you have a sketch for an AEX engine gearbox linkage?

Kind regards

Phil

Phil H

Yep - looks spot on. The bush, under the '13' is where I am stuck. This is either side of a bracket on the subframe and I cannot see how to get it off!

Kind regards and thankyou for your continued effort on this

Phil

nige8021

From the Haynes manual " Prise off the retaining circlip & lever off the transmission support cable (where fitted) from the transmission housing, recover the bush from the cable end fitting & discard it- a new bush must be used on refitting "

Phil H

Yep - read that and have done that and recovered the circlip from the tarmac too as previously mentioned. This is the end of the cable where it connects to the gearbox. Where I am stuck is where the large square and tapered plastic bush, through which passes the cable, is fixed to a bracket at the back of the subframe. I cannot see how to get this bit off, and hence cannot yet remove the subframe. This is the blocky bit underneath the number 13 on the second sketch you kindly sent yesterday.

Kind regards

Phil

nige8021

This from the dealer manual

09A85E7B-8C28-4C26-A12D-AE042230D6F0.thumb.jpeg.af69be98f8c1a9e1c9a90e15bdff1b66.jpeg

caretakerplus

This 'large square and tapered plastic bush' should pull out of the subframe bracket, once that it is out, it leaves a hole large enough to pass the 'business end' of the cable through.

Could it be that there is rust around the bush, preventing it from moving? If so, try soaking it in penetrating fluid, leave it to soak in and then gently tap around it with a hammer.

As you say, that bush is tapered and will only come out towards the rear.

Regards

Phil H

OK - thankyou for this. I spent ages under there giving it a good looking at and not once did I see that there may be tabs to squeeze. It makes sense and I will get back under there tonight to give it a go. I will update you and thankyou again.

Have you any experience of flexible coupllng replacement parts for the front downpipe? I see that you can buy just the coupling and clamp it in place of the existing broken one once the old one has been sawn off.  Not sure if I should try one or buy a new pipe and cat. For an extra £30.00 can get the whole thing which does not seem too bad when considering the effort of sawing etc!

Kind regards

Phil

Phil H

Sorry for the long quiet period. Got under there at the weekend and unclipped the cable just as described above. The gap where the flaps compress were full of mud and oil and looked just like the plastic even when wiped off! Thankyou all for your help on this - I would never have got there without.

Next small problem is the replacement subframe does not have this bracket on it. Any suggestions?

Kind regards and thankyou again.

Oil seal on the gearbox next weekend, offside wheel bearing and then it is off with the cylinder head. Wish me luck.

Phil

nige8021

That sounds like you have got a subframe for the later models that have two cables for the gearchange not the rod system you have https://volkswagen.7zap.com/en/rdw/polo+derby+vento-ind/po/1998-158/1/199-199020/#1  So unless you can remove the bracket from your old one and weld it to the replacement, the only other option is to get the correct early subframe, as with your current gearbox you can't change to the cable system as the gearbox doesn't have the mounting points for the cable change relay assembly