Sign in to follow this  
Edward M Smith

High Pressure PAS hose refitting

Edward M Smith

Hi, would anyone be able to give advice on how to fit a new high pressure power steering hose? It’s on a 6N2 without air conditioning. 

I have been been able to remove the old one by cutting it in a couple of places, but I’m flummoxed as to how to refit a new one as it has to go from below radiator at PS pump across front, up and back toward bulkhead, then across and down toward steering rack. Has anyone any experience of doing this job? Any guidance would be appreciated. 

Ed

Edited by Edward M Smith

Yeti

Rough guess, having never done one on a 6n2, I'd probably take the wheel, arch liner, bumper and grill off, then loosen the radiator support so that you can move it forwards without disconnecting it. Worst case would be headlights out and loosen the front panel, but it shouldn't come to that. 

I'm not going to dress it up as something it's not though - that is a guess. 

caretakerplus

Like Yeti, I have never done this on a 6N2, and I take it that you are referring to rigid pipes, rather than actual hoses.

If it is a rigid pipe, it would be a very time consuming and difficult job, mainly because you have to deal with a longish length of pipe, without kinking it.

As you say that you have cut the original pipe, this means that the system is now without fluid - Two problems here, (1) it is possible for moisture or foreign bodies to enter the system, so it is advisable to cover the open ends of the pipe - even so, metal from the actual cutting might already be in there. (2) The fluid also lubricates the pump, so driving the car without fluid in the system will ruin the pump.

Regards