Sign in to follow this  
zob

Gearbox selector seal replacement - bush too?

steveo3002

just fitted a seal on mine ...seems okay

• Like 1

zob
9 minutes ago, steveo3002 said:

just fitted a seal on mine ...seems okay

I figured as much - I just noticed a bunch of guides mentioning the bush too so wondered if it was common to replace it at the same time. This guide (https://www.polog40.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=111.0) mentions taking the bush and seal off together but also talks about hitting the bush from behind - surely you have to actually be inside the geabox to do that?

Either way if I can get away with just levering out the old seal and replacing that I think I know what I'd prefer!

zob
17 minutes ago, steveo3002 said:

...seems okay

Also this is what I'm aiming for at this point - If it leaks again but in a few years it'll be worth a few hours and a fiver on a seal!

zob

Thanks Nige - I've got a copy of that printed in my collection of workshop tips!

However I would say that the attached guide talks about removing the selector shaft, wrapping it in insulator tape and installing it again before taking the seal out - I thought the selector shaft is attached internally in the gearbox and can't be removed without dismantling? Does the guide actually mean pull the shaft back with a gear change, wrap it in tape, and then shift it back in to protect the shaft with tape from the excavations with the screwdriver?

I've managed to get hold of a squeeze of the G052128A1 grease for the inner lip of the seal - do people use a little gear oil for the outer lip or a smear of sealant?

Is it also worth polishing the shaft or only doing that if its visibly scored? wouldn't want to accidentally polish with a spec of grit and do more harm than good - i'll be wedged underneath the car on the road as it is so finesse may be difficult!

caretakerplus

I have never changed the bush - If there is little or no side-to-side or up and down movement in the shaft, I see no reason to change the bush.

Regards

• Like 1