Eviljohn

Hi polo people. Hope you're all well and good. 

After a good few years, i've finally got the cash in the right place and right time to invest in a H&R cup kit for my bready. If it's possible, i'm hoping to get some pointers from anyone who has already done this swap. 

I did change the suspension on a previous bready from stock to Bilstein B4's and Eibach springs so remember most of the process. Also have the step-by-step guide from the faq section bookmarked and a Haynes at the ready. 

Info i'm hoping to get is: 

Last time i did it, couldn't find a stock set of bump stops. I'd quite like to have as many parts as i can get handy so it all gets done as quickly as possible. I do have help but it's volunteered. Can anyone advise on where to get stock ones or something that will fit closely? 

Do i need to change top mounts? I honestly don't remember if i did it last time. 

Am i right in thinking i can leave the spacer out on the rears to get the extra drop in ride height?

Will i need to have some 2p's handy to compensate for a gap in the struts?

Any other tips or things to look out for would be greatly appreciated. 

Thanks for stopping by and as always. Thank you for any xp you guys and girls can leave. 

Take it easy.

dvderlm

I've seen standard rear bump stops on ebay

eg

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VW-1981-1994-Passat-Polo-Rear-Shock-Absorber-Bump-stop-Kit-357598131S/152953689365

The listing covers loads of other models. 

May as well do top mounts while you are there. You would remember old ones looking like squashed donuts if you did change them. If they are 35 years old like the car I'm amazed they have not collapsed.

Eviljohn

Cool. Thanks dude. 

I don't know exactly when the fronts were last done on this one but i'm guessing last couple of years. Previous owner said it's running on stock shocks and shorter springs. I honestly don't know if they're chopped standard springs. Wouldn't surprise me if they are given the other things i've had to fix since i got this one! I do know it's crashy as hell and sucks.

I've already had arb blocks fitted. Was advised to get bushes replaced and as it was already lowered, figured i'd just get that done.

dvderlm

H&R will be a bit bouncy, but that's better than crashy ride.

Special tool for the nuts on top of the front struts, or molegrips? 

Eviljohn

Got molegrips. I remember that from last time for sure! Think i have a spare set of castle nuts kickin around the shed as well. 

There are no bump stops on the front are there? Just the top mounts that will need renewing? 

Eviljohn

Right. Pretty sure i'm ready. Got new bump stops, new top mounts, H&R kit comes with it's own bolts and the bolts in place on front don't have castle nuts so no donkin about with that! 

Has anyone had any issues with the H&R front shocks being too short for the struts? Do i need to have some 2p's ready to fill the gaps? I did with bilstein b4's on a previous car. 

Thanks for any xp peeps. 

kwijibo_coupe

The H&R front shocks fit perfectly in the struts, H&R supply their own new strut caps too which is nice. No 2p needed on the ones I fitted last, but admittedly I haven't driven on them yet so can't say if they knock at all. But they feel solid in the strut.

Eviljohn

That's good to know. Thank you. 

1vw2many

Hi the same kit I fitted without the 2p and have had no trouble at all. Am very pleased with them and a good ride. Good luck and enjoy.

Eviljohn

Fitted today. Saved myself 8p! Came armed with 2p's but didn't use them. Only had chance to go round the block but felt like night and day compared to what was in place! OE boge shocks on front with springs that were same size as the H&R ones that replaced them. Already had Bilstein b4's and Eibach springs on the back. Takin it for a long run back tomorrow so will get to try it out for sure. Very much looking forward to it.

Thanks for the info dudes. Really appreciate it. 

Eviljohn

Massive difference! Actually fun to drive again! 

Wish i'd done this a long time ago. Left the spacers on when we fitted the rears. Thought i may have clearance issues otherwise. Very happy with it though. 

20190317_152425.jpg

POlliffe22

got this kit on mine and love it. front springs do get coil bound and can hear clattering at low speed (i am led to believe this is because they use progressive springs) but car apparently corners almost dead flat (my mates tell me when following) with 165/60/14 nankang as1 when going through the brecon beacons at speeds that pc plod would have something to say about.I also find them very comfy on the motorway even all day hundreds of miles.

Eviljohn

I did an hour on the motorway day after i fitted them. Only issue were my seats. But they look like they've been fingered by Wolverine. I have noticed MUCH less roll. Already had arb blocks in place. Even over speed bumps. The only rattles are from rear speaker surrounds. Previous owner over tightened the screws that hold them in place. Broke the plastic around the screws so little rattle over lumps and bumps. 

Really pleased with this kit. Will be recommending it to anyone who will listen.

• Like 1

kwijibo_coupe

The H&R kit is easily the best budget kit for these cars. Young kids these days will easily spend £500 just to get the cheapest height adjustable coilovers to be scene. Trying to get across to them that you can save £200 and buy a fixed height kit that is better in every way is hard work.

• Like 1

Eviljohn

Am i right in thinking that it's a lot of effort to set up coilovers properly? Get each corner balanced correctly and all that jazz? 

Are coilovers more suited for track cars? 

POlliffe22

You can just set them up for ride height and assuming they have sensible spring and damping rate they will drive the same as springs and shocks. However you CAN cornerweight the car to improve load balance on the 4 tyres which can help when really pushing hard.

Eviljohn

I see. Good shout if you use your car for road and track.