Dark Mode Now Availiable (Change via theme selector at the bottom of the site)
Sign in to follow this  
schneil

2f polo stereo install - rear speaker wiring and power feed advice wanted

schneil

I'm about to replace my stolen stereo and get my rear 6x9s wired in.

I don't think my car has the wiring for rear speakers. Can anyone tell me the route the wiring takes? Down the passenger side carpet? Which holes does it come out of in the boot? Also which path does it take around the rear hatch?

The stereo I'm getting is a Sony MEX-GS820BT. Would I need to upgrade the power wires?  The manual states rated power consumption 10A.

thanks in advance

https://www.sony.co.uk/electronics/in-car-receivers-players/mex-gs820bt

Yeti

Be careful fitting anything with a CD deck in in a 2f, they can be too deep for the space in the dashboard.

zob

Mine is down underneath the front carpets and then routes up behind the rear panel cards, popping out around the rear seatbelt fixings.

However it is a breadvan - what bodyshape is your 2F? In the breadies there are two plastic mouldings that the rear speakers sit in - the same mouldings also serve as a place for the parcel shelf bushings to sit in.

zob
On 09/03/2019 at 20:55, schneil said:

Would I need to upgrade the power wires?  The manual states rated power consumption 10A.

I don't think so, although perhaps someone who has done more car audio could provide a better answer. If it draws 10A of current the stereo would be using 120W+ of electical power which is no mean feat. I expect the rating will just be the maximum (i.e. the fuse rating) - in which case (and I may be wrong - do check!) the fuse in your polo may well be the same or higher, in which case there should be a need to install thicker power cables.

schneil
20 hours ago, Yeti said:

Be careful fitting anything with a CD deck in in a 2f, they can be too deep for the space in the dashboard. 

Oops, I've just ordered it......

From the manuals:

My old deck, a Pioneer DEH-5500MP had a depth of 162mm

The Sony has a depth of 178mm

What do you reckon? Too deep, or will I be OK?

schneil
3 minutes ago, schneil said:

Oops, I've just ordered it......

From the manuals:

My old deck, a Pioneer DEH-5500MP had a depth of 162mm

The Sony has a depth of 178mm

What do you reckon? Too deep, or will I be OK?

Another though, looking at the front of the Sony, it's volume dial does not sit flush like the Panasonic, it protudes out slightly.  This might account for the extra depth?

dvderlm

The manual says 10A is rated current consumption 

See page 27

https://www.sony.co.uk/electronics/support/res/manuals/4698/3c7196e004d720c216ba34f436f75cc6/46980303M.pdf

Has 4 x 45W RMS class-D amplifier stage (4x100W peak).

That's a powerful head-unit.

For 10 amps and a short length of wire AWG-8 to AWG-10 wire - or about 5mm2 cross section should do   ---  same for earth of course.
I hope it is efficient (class-D usually are) or the heat sink will melt its way through the dashboard to make itself fit. 

Actually yeah, depth is probably the volume control sticking out.

schneil
6 hours ago, zob said:

Mine is down underneath the front carpets and then routes up behind the rear panel cards, popping out around the rear seatbelt fixings.

However it is a breadvan - what bodyshape is your 2F? In the breadies there are two plastic mouldings that the rear speakers sit in - the same mouldings also serve as a place for the parcel shelf bushings to sit in. 

Yes I think I know where you mean, along the passenger side sill, under the door and up and over the wheelarch, behind the doorcard?

Does the driver's side speaker wire run along the passenger side as well?  Or is it routed under the drivers carpet?

If the driver's side speaker runs down the passenger side, what route does it use to cross sides?  Along the bottom of the rear hatch, or inbetween the boot carpet and the back seat?

I have a coupe.  Looking in the rear hatch, there's a circular hole - is this where the wiring would come out?

Also what gauge wire would people reccomend? 

According to the below it would be 1mm for a 5m run?

https://www.cambridgeaudio.com/gbr/en/blog/speaker-cables

schneil
7 minutes ago, dvderlm said:

The manual says 10A is rated current consumption 

See page 27

https://www.sony.co.uk/electronics/support/res/manuals/4698/3c7196e004d720c216ba34f436f75cc6/46980303M.pdf

Has 4 x 45W RMS class-D amplifier stage (4x100W peak).

That's a powerful head-unit.

For 10 amps and a short length of wire AWG-8 to AWG-10 wire - or about 5mm2 cross section should do   ---  same for earth of course.
I hope it is efficient (class-D usually are) or the heat sink will melt its way through the dashboard to make itself fit. 

Actually yeah, depth is probably the volume control sticking out.

Yeah it's a beast!

I'm trying to not run an amplifier to save boot space

My speakers are all JBL powers so they should handle a fair amount of power (3.5 in dash and 6x9 in the shelf)

schneil
7 hours ago, zob said:

I forgot to say IIRC the parcel shelf supports are similar in breadys and coupes - there are speaker grille's for 4x6 speakers.  Mine didn't have any speakers fitted when new.

zob

I'd check the fuse for that circuit then and if its rated at 10A or higher then don't worry about running thicker power cables. As for the speaker fittings for those shelf mouldings I used these guys:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VW-MK2-Golf-Genuine-OEM-Rear-Speaker-Shelf-Locking-Nuts-4-Pack-Brand-New/271290372244?fits=Car+Make%3AVW&hash=item3f2a2a9094:g:wH0AAOxyFjNSTaSs:rk:1:pf:0

They screw over the plastic posts. Although you could also apparently run a die up them and use some normal nuts eh.

1mm audio wire sounds fine - don't think you'd need anything special to drive 4x6's over that kind of distance.

Cheers,

Dave

schneil
16 hours ago, zob said:

I'd check the fuse for that circuit then and if its rated at 10A or higher then don't worry about running thicker power cables. As for the speaker fittings for those shelf mouldings I used these guys:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VW-MK2-Golf-Genuine-OEM-Rear-Speaker-Shelf-Locking-Nuts-4-Pack-Brand-New/271290372244?fits=Car+Make%3AVW&hash=item3f2a2a9094:g:wH0AAOxyFjNSTaSs:rk:1:pf:0

They screw over the plastic posts. Although you could also apparently run a die up them and use some normal nuts eh.

1mm audio wire sounds fine - don't think you'd need anything special to drive 4x6's over that kind of distance.

Cheers,

Dave

Hello Dave

Thanks for the link.  Unfortunately he's out of stick, but working on getting some new nuts.

I've decided to keep with my 6x9s till I get an underseat sub though.  A couple of the spade connectors on my speakers have snapped with being disconnected and reconnected many times.  Do you know anyone that sells spares tht I could solder on?

zob

Something like this?

https://www.rapidonline.com/TE-726386-2-Faston-Tab-PCB-Mount-6-3-x-0-8mm-Tin-63-7162?IncVat=1&pdg=pla-339994951675:kwd-339994951675:cmp-757438067:adg-44804851896:crv-207912323492:pid-63-7162:dev-c&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI0dORrr6B4QIVCgDTCh2l5gllEAQYBSABEgJ0NfD_BwE

Most sources I usually hit up for electronics parts sell them in boxes of 250+, your best bet for a small handful is probably somewhere like rapid or ebay i should think

schneil
16 minutes ago, zob said:

Something like this?

https://www.rapidonline.com/TE-726386-2-Faston-Tab-PCB-Mount-6-3-x-0-8mm-Tin-63-7162?IncVat=1&pdg=pla-339994951675:kwd-339994951675:cmp-757438067:adg-44804851896:crv-207912323492:pid-63-7162:dev-c&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI0dORrr6B4QIVCgDTCh2l5gllEAQYBSABEgJ0NfD_BwE

Most sources I usually hit up for electronics parts sell them in boxes of 250+, your best bet for a small handful is probably somewhere like rapid or ebay i should think

Yeah I think so.  I'll try searching ebay for "faston tab pcb mount" and see what I get

schneil
2 hours ago, nige8021 said:

I think the fast-on connector is the one to go for.  I just need to get the correct size.   It's the skinny one that has snapped - it's most likely metal fatigue from the speakers being disconected and reconnected numerous times.

I have the head unit now.  It's a heavy beast!  - over a kilo.

The only annoyance so far is the EU version doesn't have two USB inputs, only one on the front.  I was hoping to use both and have a thumb drive hidden away on the second with loads of music!

I can't see why they removed it compared to the other versions. I'd rather have 2 ports and sacrifice radio 4 on LW.

schneil

Here are the snapped connectors on the back of the speakers. It's the thinner negative ones.

IMG_20190315_162538.resized.resized.jpg

IMG_20190315_162747.resized.resized.jpg

nige8021
schneil
nige8021

It could be, have you measured the tags on the wiring ? that'll give you the correct size

schneil
45 minutes ago, nige8021 said:

It could be, have you measured the tags on the wiring ? that'll give you the correct size

That's a good shout, but the speakers aren't in front of me. Looking about the spade terminals all seem to be 2.8, 4.8 or 6.3mm sized. It's the skinny one so im hoping 2.8mm is the correct on. It's worth a risk for 3quid 🙂