Andyt157

9N3 1.2 BMD engine radiator fan not working

Andyt157

Having problem with fan. After a good run and stationary for about 15mins temp gauge rises and alarm sounds but not all the time. Had it looked at by 2 garages. 1 couldn't find a fault. Other replaced cooling fan sensor and said could be the fan control unit. This has now been replaced also. It's appears its still not working. Any ideas on what to look at next? 

nige8021

First Welcome to the forum.

I assume you have checked the 3 (40amp, 30amp & 5amp) fuses ontop of the battery are OK ?

Is the thermostat opening ? both the thick pipes from the radiator around the same temperature ? if not the thermostat isn't opening so no flow of water is going past the radiator fan thermal switch, if the pipes are similar temperatures, does the fan run if you put 12v direct to it ? as it could be a failed fan and it wouldn't be the first thermal switch that was duff from the suppliers

Yeti

Also, check for frayed wires on the plug on the sensor and the plug on the rad fan. Very common for a garage to check something by plugging the laptop in, but not peel back the split wrap on the wiring and have a look to make sure it's still got a good connection 😖

Andyt157

Thx everyone for the replies. Taken a while to sort as the car is my daughters and she lives away. Anyway it's cured. But don't know how. There werent any fuses on top of the battery. Just a large covered terminal connector. So I went round and checked all connectors for frayed wires etc and also checked fuse for fan control unit in cabin. The only thing I can think is by checking connectors etc pushed them home /made a better connection. Anyway I've told her to keep an eye on it! Thanks again