Sign in to follow this  
steveo3002

085 (mk2) selector shaft seal in situ?

steveo3002

am i right the selector shaft seal can be done in situ ?  does all the oil dump out when the seal comes out?

what about the bush /housing ...do that too??  need any special tools??

zob
On 22/04/2019 at 13:02, steveo3002 said:

am i right the selector shaft seal can be done in situ ?  does all the oil dump out when the seal comes out?

what about the bush /housing ...do that too??  need any special tools??

I'd dropped the oil before doing it because it needed changing I suspected anyway. Glad I did because it took quite a while to prise the old seal out and clean / polish the input shaft - I would think I'd have had gear oil dripping on my face for a while otherwise!

I guess If you jacked the car up from the back rather than the front you may be able to put most of the oil in the other end of the box though?

As for the bush I don't believe it needs changing unless its damaged or excessively worn / you can't help but score it up while digging the old seal out.

Edited by zob
missing info
  • Like 1

GatisGirdenis

The shaft seal is pretty doable, the oil was dripping fairly slowly when I did it.

• Like 1