rusty

Hi all,

Inner track rod ends are both knackered leading to horrible floaty steering that feels like the cars sliding around.

Do I just replace them like any other car ?(with the very long socket type removal tool) The Haynes manual details outer tie rod but says nothing about the inner part?

thanks

nige8021

The dealers manual says you need to remove the rack to replace them, but it said the same for them on my Octy and I replaced them without removing the rack.

Servicing mechanical steering box

Assembling track rod

‒ → First position rack in steering box so that the protrusion on left and right is identical (dimension -a-) = 67 mm. Measured from the housing shoulder to the face of the rack.

‒ Screw lock nuts up to end on rack. Screw track rods on until dimension -b- 69.5 mm is attained.

Measure from housing shoulder to inner joint shoulder.

1 - Inner joint

2 - Lock nut

3 - Rack

660862974_6NInnerballjoint.thumb.jpg.1145ae9d5eea389df6ab5ab45be78ce8.jpg

The lock nut needs to be torqued to 50Nm

If you have PAS the torque is 80Nm

rusty
7 minutes ago, nige8021 said:

The dealers manual says you need to remove the rack to replace them, but it said the same for them on my Octy and I replaced them without removing the rack.

Servicing mechanical steering box

Assembling track rod

‒ → First position rack in steering box so that the protrusion on left and right is identical (dimension -a-) = 67 mm. Measured from the housing shoulder to the face of the rack.

‒ Screw lock nuts up to end on rack. Screw track rods on until dimension -b- 69.5 mm is attained.

Measure from housing shoulder to inner joint shoulder.

1 - Inner joint

2 - Lock nut

3 - Rack

660862974_6NInnerballjoint.thumb.jpg.1145ae9d5eea389df6ab5ab45be78ce8.jpg

The lock nut needs to be torqued to 50Nm

If you have PAS the torque is 80Nm

Thanks Nige,

I'm slightly confused about this procedure, is the locknut meant to be tightened back up to keep the track rod in the 69.5mm position afterwards? 

How do i get to these nuts as they both seem hard to reach? 

Will i need to remove both track rods (or their boots at least|) at once to get the measurements?

Thanks again and sorry for all the questions, just trying to learn (and steer my car lol)

nige8021

Turn the steering wheel until you get the 67mm from the end of the rack threaded end to the inner face of the rack,  wind the lock nut down the threads, then screw the new track rod on until you get the 69.5mm from the inner edge of the ball joint housing to the inner face of the rack, then tighten the lock nut down onto the track rod ball joint end, then if you can't get enough access to torque the lock nut up, you can then move the steering wheel so more of the rack comes out so giving better access to torque the nut.

rusty

Amazing thanks, got the new parts and removal tool on order now so fingers crossed this works

rusty

Got round to half doing it today, on trying to remove the inner rod I have noticed there doesn’t seem to be a lock nut? 

However on the steering rack there seem to be two flats, is this the locknut and I just can’t see the gap between the two?

The rod won’t budge as it is so I’m wondering if I’m missing something.

cheers 

nige8021

Have you got PAS ? as the rod ends are different to the non PAS racks 

rusty
3 minutes ago, nige8021 said:

Have you got PAS ? as the rod ends are different to the non PAS racks 

It is pas yeah. Is there anything to do differently ?

nige8021

In that case, no measuring required, just wind the rack fully in the direction your replacing, grip the rack rod on those flats and unscrew the inner ball joint, then refitting screw it back on and tighten to 80Nm