Sign in to follow this  
damunk

car jack twisting

damunk

trying to use the vw car jack to lift the car polo 6N from the side to place a ebay car jack under.

only thing is you have to lift it around 32cm to get the car jack under 

soon i lift the car around 27cm with the vw car jack  , the car starts to slide.

i am doing it at the correct point (arrows)

damunk

trying to lift rear of car to get jack stands on either side to do rear brake disc conversion.

think i might buy a proper jack trolley.  is okay to stick it in centre of rear axle and lift there?

dvderlm

Yes, if front wheels chocked, engine in gear on flat hard surface.

But you need axle stands or spare wheels or big lumps of wood to stop it falling and crushing you or neighbour's pet should the jack's hydraulic seal fail.

Edited by dvderlm

damunk

no, i want to jack it up on the rear axle then place car jacks stands (ebay ones) on either side  of the car on the lifting points arrowed.

POlliffe22

Its fine to jack off the center of the crar axle with a trolley jack yes. Then i would also put the axle stands on the axle as well but close to where the chassis mounts are.

dvderlm

I now place something (wood/hockey-puck/wad of sack cloth) in between a trolley kack or an axle stand and the jack lift point on chassis, after car's weight once folded a sill seam

I think when I lowered on to a stand right there.

Normal tyre change jack shape U section does not press on the seam at the lift point on my mk2, it just locates it there. 

The axle itself or the rear axle mount points are good strong, stable and match the small rounded saddle shape on my axle stands.

Be careful of trapping handbrake lines.  

steveo3002

get a decent sized jack too , the little halfords  style ones arent very good at all , not a big enough footprint and easily tip over vs a proper one 

always make sure theres some spare wheels slung under the car so it wont kill you /cut your legs off if it falls 

caretakerplus

I would recommend NOT jacking on the 'axle' - As it is of 'U' section rather than cylindrical (as it appears to be when viewed from behind the car), there is a risk of distorting it when jacking on it.

I obtained a block of aluminium and cut a cross in one face to fit the jack turntable, then cut a groove in the other side and screwed some plywood strips to it, the object being to avoid the weight of the car resting on the weld of the sills. - The wood providing something of a cushion to avoid damage to paintwork.

As said above, make sure that there is something (spare wheel being ideal) under there when jacking, just in case things slip.

Jacks supplied with most cars are intended for a roadside wheel change ONLY and not for maintenance purposes.

The boot of my car tends to have quite a few tools in it, there are also a pair of wooden wedges that are used to prevent the car from rolling if I ever have to jack it - Remember that the hand brake only works on the rear wheels, so the wedges are particularly important (to use on the front wheels) if jacking up the rear.

Regards

damunk

i did jack in centre of axle n quickly got the stands on either side of car in thier proper posistion, to avoid sills bending im using these rubber blocks which fit pretty good

rubber.thumb.jpg.f87f245524b89bb618a39b7c5b5d209f.jpg