Sign in to follow this  
damunk

6N handbrake cable removal

damunk

nearly removed the handbrake cable but is not coming out of the tube that is external under the car.

the threaded section is to wide for the tube. 

how do you get it out?

could cut it but then how would i get the new one in. the diameter seems very small on the guide tube.

damunk

bloody some sort of white plastic sleeve stick in the tubing. wd-40? and just pull on it?

or use heat?

the old wire it still in there so could use that to yank on it

caretakerplus

Its been a while since I changed one of these, but I can't remember any problems as you are describing here.

I think that I would avoid using heat, as if you happen to melt this plastic (probably nylon) you will be in even worse trouble.

Does the new cable have this plastic part on it? If so, then there is no harm in cutting the old cable.

One point to remember when you do eventually get the new cable(s) on, is to make sure that the auto adjusters are fully adjusted up before attempting to adjust the new cable(s) at the hand brake lever.

Regards

damunk

okay , got it out using dremel tool and cutting oil to keep cool. nylon like you said stuck in tube, thanks lads