BradPolo6N

Hi, I’m currently having a problem on my polo 6n 1995 where if I put my key in the ignition barrel and turn it once my rev counter dial will start going crazy and it doesn’t stop unless I take the key out and leave it for a few seconds but if I put the key in again it starts again and it’s only my rev counter none of my other dials do it 🤦🏻‍♂️ Anybody know why? Thanks in advance 

caretakerplus

Your 'rev counter' (tachometer) works by 'counting' impulses, so if everything else is OK, it probably suggests that there is a poor electrical connection, making it 'think' that there are impulses when in fact there are not.

If the car is otherwise running OK, the problem is most likely to be in the dash panel or the instrument head itself.

It may well pay to take out the dash panel, remove and replace plugs and see if that effects a cure - the very act of removing and replacing plugs can be sufficient to clean a dirty connection.

Regards