Jim1500

MK3 Breadvan fuel pump relay?

Jim1500

Couple of questions for mk2f / mk3 dudes. Nephews bready is intermitantly not starting. When it does it runs like a dream. 

I'm used to mk2s so there are a few differences I'm not used to, that and he's a fair bit away so I'm not at car to hoke around it.

I'm assuming that all mk3s are injected, and if so would you normally hear pump prime when turn ignition on?

Where is the fuel pump relay and what number is it?

Cheers in advance 😀 I'll get him on here and post a thread in gallery as it's a lovely looking wee car

steveo3002

4 pin relay above the fuse panel ...theres only 1 there thats 4 pin 

yes the pumps should prime when you turn ign on

Jim1500

Cheers dude that's what I thought :)

vwfan3

Sometimes, it can be the ignition switch as well.

Jim1500

He pulled this out shook around and refitted, and it started. He said finding hard to find one with same pattern of pins, but I'm guessing that the like of the one GSF list would maybe be a generic pic and should be ok?

Funny feeling it wasn't a genuine VW part so no part no, but I'll get him to check

https://www.gsfcarparts.com/935me0070

Relay.jpg

Edited by Jim1500

steveo3002

its a generic relay...should find one on ebay or any auto elec place , double check the pin layout /diagram matches exactly 

can also carry a short with with 2 male spades crimped on , if the relay fails out in the middle of no where use the wire to bridge the pins and get home , having said that order 2 x relays and keep one in the boot , id suggest trying to find one made in europe rather than a china special

also be worth checking the spades arent all green and rotten in the relay housing

Edited by steveo3002

nige8021

This is the connection layout for a standard relay, and the link wire @steveo3002 mentions would go between the pin 30 and 87

1894352740_FuelPumpRelay.png.cbf5dc5f1c4b228e705a01afd38325b6.png

Jim1500

Excellent help much appreciated!

Pins were a bit green when he got it out so told him to clean it up and go for some copper grease. I picked up a new relay from GSF today just to have.

steveo3002

dont put copper grease on elec terminals

Jim1500
15 hours ago, steveo3002 said:

dont put copper grease on elec terminals

What best to put on them? Had been told before that was the thing to do:help: I would have cleaned stuff off with wd40 before but then told not to use that either.

Here's a quick pic of the wee car 8>)

polosham.jpg

Edited by Jim1500

nige8021

Use something like this to clean the contacts 533A13FD-AB95-40C5-8560-EE736004B973.thumb.jpeg.85e666cf0c329255e755298c9032a114.jpeg

but under no no circumstances use copper grease as the copper particles in it make it conducive and could lead to a short circuit only use something like silicone grease or Vaseline to keep the moisture away 

steveo3002

idealy  need to depin the housing so you can see the terminal close up , recrimp on a new one if needed 

dielectric grease is the stuff to protect it once its clean , it wont repair a dirty/correded pin though   

Jim1500

Cheers dudes!

I've some electrical contact cleaner here was just to protect from moisture again.