Mumrah123

2009 Match 60 will not start

Mumrah123

Hi, I’m hoping someone can help me with a problem I’m having on my 2009 Polo Match 60.

The car intermittently will not start. Sometimes it is fine but other times all of the dashboard lights come on after you turn the ignition, you can hear a click but the engine does not crank. Eventually, it you try the ignition a number of times it will start and be fine.

The battery voltage seemed low and the battery was pretty old so I’ve had that replaced.  After this it was fine for a couple of days but today the same thing happened.  I’ve also hooked up a multimeter and couldn’t see any current draw.

The car also has an electric window fault that seems to be related - the passenger window will not wind down using the driver’s controller but usually works with the passenger controller.  The driver’s controller worked immediately after the battery change but has now stopped working again.

Any advice gratefully received....

Edited by Mumrah123
Error

caretakerplus

Welcome to the Forum.

The fact that you hear the 'click' when you attempt to start the engine, probably indicates one of three things:

(1) The battery is flat - but if that were the case, it is doubtful that it would start at the next attempt.

(2) There is a dirty or poor electrical connection between the battery and the starter motor - You could try disconnecting the battery earth terminal, then remove, clean and replace the connections on the battery to starter cable - do the same with the earth connections.

(3) The problem could also be caused by a faulty solenoid, the easiest cure for this would be to replace the starter motor.

Regards

Mumrah123

Thanks for the reply. Since the post I’ve had a good check for a parasitic current with nothing found and since then it has not had any issues - I think it is likely to be something around the start solenoid as per your point 3. I’m going to have a good look at that when I get some time....!