Sign in to follow this  
Marshall89

Mk1 polo wiper motor

Marshall89

Hi guys, my wiper motor has packed up on my 76 polo. I've stripped cleaned and reassembled it which got it going very slowly but it has stopped again. Does anyone know where I could pick up a motor that would work on my car? I can't find one listed anywhere. Failing that can anyone recommend a good repair place that can salvage this one? The mechanism is well lubed and moving freely. 

Thanks!

caretakerplus

Welcome to the Forum.

The problem with wiper motors is generally down to badly worn commutators.

When you stripped the motor, did the commutator look to be in fair condition?

The problem with them is that, being so small, they tend to wear quite badly - the other problem with them is that you can get 'carry over' between the segments.

It is possible to skim the commutator in a lath, BUT  by the time the motor starts to give problems, the 'com' is so badly warn that there is no longer enough metal left to skim.

Are the brushes free to slide in their guide (brush box) ?

The brushes must have enough metal left on them for their springs to be able to hold them in contact with the com, also, they should have a radius on the end to suit the com's radius.

If you end up replacing the complete wiper assembly, make sure that you obtain one with the same sweep and (obviously) the same spindle centres.

Regards