Notice to Hotmail/Gmail & BT Internet users - Please check your SPAM/JUNK folders for our emails. Please add our email as a contact to your email account.
Light/Dark Mode Enabled: You can now select the option by clicking the moon/lightbulb in the top right corner!

Project Breadvan GT

Clayson9

Clayson9

Alright guys, not sure how many people check the forums these days? As opposed to facebook etc. Anyway im gonna give this a go and do a build thread ... bare with me!

So i picked up this GT swapped bready a couple weeks a go now, its a pretty basic/ standard set up at the mo, only running a non gt 5 speed box. The car was originally a 1l genesis (still registered as). Engine and box swapped in by the lad i got it from. Its far from perfect and needs a fair amount of work doing. I was wanting another weekend car for drives out after i sold my 1.3 genesis a few months a go, and i couldnt resist this as a project for the price i paid. 

First jobs im tackling are gearbox issues, oil & coolant leaks to hopefully get it into a more driveable state in the next few weeks. 

Ill aim to keep this thread updated as often as i can or at least as often as i get stuff done on the car. Hopefully at least a few people can find interest in it. 

Any questions fire away ... all advice and comments welcome please as i go guys.

Cheers

Ash

Screenshot_20190708-231421_Instagram.jpg

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Clayson9

• taylor

• Jim1500

• zob

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Good man get the pics going, the more of us do it the busier the site will be 😎   My bready's gone to get some new metal welded in, be slow process but hope to update as and when.

Hi mate, i had a look at your thread before id posted mine 👍🏻 will keep an eye on it & catch you on here too hopefully  

This is fantastic, thankyou mate. Very helpful. Ill see how I go on with it & see how long it lasts. Ill be looking for a gt box anyway hopefully 

Posted Images

hi bud

Ive just joined and started a thread myself. like yourself I'm unsure of how many people actually check these forums now but i'm abit oldskool and like to put a project thread up of what I do and enjoy reading other builds aswell so I'll watch this closely

my build thread is at bottom of my profile follow link.

Jim1500

Good man get the pics going, the more of us do it the busier the site will be 😎

My bready's gone to get some new metal welded in, be slow process but hope to update as and when.

• Love it 1
Clayson9
13 hours ago, taylor said:

hi bud

Ive just joined and started a thread myself. like yourself I'm unsure of how many people actually check these forums now but i'm abit oldskool and like to put a project thread up of what I do and enjoy reading other builds aswell so I'll watch this closely

my build thread is at bottom of my profile follow link.

Hi mate, i had a look at your thread before id posted mine 👍🏻 will keep an eye on it & catch you on here too hopefully  

• Love it 1
Clayson9

*Update + info*

Just thought id provide a bit more info on the car/ state i bought it in. 

I bought the car knowing it possibly needed a head gasket, however on further inspection i am hopeful that it might not ... when i bought the car the block and just about everything underneath was covered in oil & there was a coolant leak from the thermostat housing. There was an obvious oil leak from the rocker cover on the corners where these always go. So my thinking was to clean the engine up, replace rocker gasket and then see where the oil next appears from. There is no oil and water mixed so im hopeful of not needing a head gasket doing. 

Ive fitted a new rocker gasket and sealed it with gasket sealant (after snapping one of the 6m bolts holding the rocker cover on 🙄). I have also replaced the thermostat, temp sensors & thermostat housing to hopefully solve the coolant leak issue. 

Will update soon on whats next/ what else ive been up to ... hopefully this has given a bit more insight to where im at with the car! 

• 1 month later...

*update*

Sorry for the gap in between updates, realistically my updates will be less frequent but with more info per update over the coming months. (Ive just moved into my 1st house so pretty busy with that!)

Anyway, ive managed to get a few other bits done on the car over the last month or so. One of my main issues to fix was a gearbox problem ... when driving on the motorway cruising about 60mph i lost 5th gear, it just popped out and then wouldnt stay in 5th for any longer than 20 seconds or so. After limping the car home and doing some research into what it could be, I began by draining the box to find there was barely 200ml of oil in (box should take 3.2L i believe!). Luckily there was no cr*p came out with the oil. I refilled it and had a mess around with the linkage to try get selection just right (not fun!). And since then it has been spot on. It is however still leaking oil from the box. I think its coming from the selector seal? (If anyone can shed any light on that some info would be gratefully received 🙂 ). Theres not loads of oil, maybe a few drips each time i come back to the car after a week or so. 

20190718_201301.thumb.jpg.842586e2ed899387f8e9fd69dcb69a03.jpg

The car is now due an MOT so ill update on how that goes. But with my new house and winter fast approaching again chances are that the car wont be out that many more times this year. I have very little history with the car so I intend on getting the cambelt and waterpump changed and compression testing the engine to be sure its okay. 

My aim for the next month is to get it through MOT, give it a full service, sort the leaky box and hopefully get a few exterior bits done. 

Im in no real rush with this "project", overall the aim is to have a car for drives out on B roads, to get back to a few shows like polo social and meet more people & to learn as much as i can on fixing up a car along the way. 

I'll keep this thread as up to date as possible. Cheers ✌🏻 

I think my gearbox has same problem popping out of 5th and when filling hardly anything came out. I’ve put 1ltr back in but didn’t think it needed like 3 litres, mine seems to have leak from underneath also possibly coming from the gear link seal aswell.

do you know if new seals can be bought and keep us updated on how you fix problem. I’ve got a perfect gearbox on shelf but I’d much rather save that and try fixing this one.

Its a classic problem with these boxes - everyone seems to go through it at some point! If you can live with the drops of gear oil on your drive/the street then you can live with it for ages - it won't loose oil very fast. I'd be more concerned that the box was running so low on oil for potentially a very long time as once the damage is done it can't be un-done by refilling the sump unfortunately.

However for the seal change its a fiddle but nothing major - get hold of an OEM VW seal (they're all over the place - pat number 085301227). You supposedly can change the seal out with oil in the box (jacking the car to push the oil to the other end) but if you don't want a face full of gear oil I'd recommend dumping the oil. Jack the front up and suppot on axle stands and remove the gear link from the selector rod and push out of the way. Now the tricky bit - you need to pry out the old seal (which is mostly metal inside - the rubber is just for sealing) without scoring the selector shaft. The usual advice is to use a couple of self tapping screws to get some purchase with some mole grips - I couldn't get the scres in (no drill) so went at it with a screwdriver until I demolished one side of it and levered the lot out.

Next you want to thoroughly clean the shaft and the brass case. I would also recommend polishing the input shaft where it would slide through the new seal - use a polishing grit wet-and-dry paper and get it good and shiny. when installing the new seal you'll need to fill the back of the seal with some grease - VW used a blue sealing grease (G052128A1, find it on ebay a lot or maybe someone has a tube you can borrow), you could probably get away with a little lithium grease - its just to hold the oil in.

And thats it! Well worth doing but remember that the tiniest hairline scores in the input shaft can wear down the new seal prematurely and you'll have a drip again eventually.

On 20/08/2019 at 08:52, zob said:

Its a classic problem with these boxes - everyone seems to go through it at some point! If you can live with the drops of gear oil on your drive/the street then you can live with it for ages - it won't loose oil very fast. I'd be more concerned that the box was running so low on oil for potentially a very long time as once the damage is done it can't be un-done by refilling the sump unfortunately.

However for the seal change its a fiddle but nothing major - get hold of an OEM VW seal (they're all over the place - pat number 085301227). You supposedly can change the seal out with oil in the box (jacking the car to push the oil to the other end) but if you don't want a face full of gear oil I'd recommend dumping the oil. Jack the front up and suppot on axle stands and remove the gear link from the selector rod and push out of the way. Now the tricky bit - you need to pry out the old seal (which is mostly metal inside - the rubber is just for sealing) without scoring the selector shaft. The usual advice is to use a couple of self tapping screws to get some purchase with some mole grips - I couldn't get the scres in (no drill) so went at it with a screwdriver until I demolished one side of it and levered the lot out.

Next you want to thoroughly clean the shaft and the brass case. I would also recommend polishing the input shaft where it would slide through the new seal - use a polishing grit wet-and-dry paper and get it good and shiny. when installing the new seal you'll need to fill the back of the seal with some grease - VW used a blue sealing grease (G052128A1, find it on ebay a lot or maybe someone has a tube you can borrow), you could probably get away with a little lithium grease - its just to hold the oil in.

And thats it! Well worth doing but remember that the tiniest hairline scores in the input shaft can wear down the new seal prematurely and you'll have a drip again eventually.

This is fantastic, thankyou mate. Very helpful. Ill see how I go on with it & see how long it lasts. Ill be looking for a gt box anyway hopefully 

• Like 1
On 19/08/2019 at 19:34, taylor said:

I think my gearbox has same problem popping out of 5th and when filling hardly anything came out. I’ve put 1ltr back in but didn’t think it needed like 3 litres, mine seems to have leak from underneath also possibly coming from the gear link seal aswell.

do you know if new seals can be bought and keep us updated on how you fix problem. I’ve got a perfect gearbox on shelf but I’d much rather save that and try fixing this one.

Hi mate when you fill the box just fill until it starts to overflow. Better to have plenty in... have a read of zobs reply too!