gilesnp

OEM discs and pads for Polo GTI 6N2

gilesnp

Hello!

I have a 2001 Polo GTI 6N2 and am going to be doing all the discs and pads soon and just needed some advice from you guys regarding which discs and pads are the OEM ones. GSF and ECP both sell a few sets of discs and pads, but after some relatively robust Googling, I've heard some rumours that the discs ECP sell aren't that good?

I know people have asked similar questions before, but there doesn't seem to be a definitive answer about which disc or pads are the OEM ones. I don't want to get some which will be wobbling after a few thousand miles and thought I would turn to you folks for guidance. 

OR (to go completely off piste) would something like this from eBay be any good? https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/EBC-Rear-Brake-Kit-Discs-Pads-for-VW-Polo-Mk3-6N2-1-6-GTi-125-2000-2002/292479469348?_trkparms=aid%3D111001%26algo%3DREC.SEED%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20160908105057%26meid%3D72ece35faa564df8bf2aaf9efae58f0a%26pid%3D100675%26rk%3D2%26rkt%3D15%26sd%3D283515537905%26itm%3D292479469348%26pg%3D2481888&_trksid=p2481888.c100675.m4236&_trkparms=pageci%3A352d506f-a4a2-11e9-bb52-74dbd180db08|parentrq%3Ae632d51416b0a86043b65279ff8036a4|iid%3A1

Cheers!

Giles

nige8021

First Welcome to the forum.

The quality of most stuff from ECP/GSF can be a bit questionable at times ! 

I have used these guys for any disc replacements on various cars  https://www.mtecbrakes.com/brake-discs/volkswagen/polo-96-02.html  very good quality, fast service and never had one warp

gilesnp
1 hour ago, nige8021 said:

First Welcome to the forum.

Hey, and thank you! Also thank you for your quick response!

The quality of most stuff from ECP/GSF can be a bit questionable at times ! 

I'm not sure if I'm really surprised or not surprised at all, it's still a shame though (although I dunno what I was expecting with discs at under £20 for a set of rears.

I have used these guys for any disc replacements on various cars  https://www.mtecbrakes.com/brake-discs/volkswagen/polo-96-02.html  very good quality, fast service and never had one warp

Those pads look good, do you know if there will be difference between the MTEC and Mintex pads? Looks like they only sell grooved/drilled/grooved and drilled/c-hook discs - I still think I want non-grooved/drilled discs - I've heard they're sort of a fashion thing outside of race cars!

Cheers.

nige8021

The pads I used on the rear of my Octy after I replaced the discs were OEM ones (pagid I think) from TPS and so far no problem with them, Yeah the discs they sell are the drilled/grooved, probably not required on a light car like a Polo, but as I tow a caravan I wanted something that wasn't going to overheat and fade so the drilled/slotted were ideal, having said that, when I had an Ibiza 1.4 I fitted the "grooved" and the response was so much better than the original plain discs

Yeti

Grooved do work better, but they don't last as long, and the pads certainly don't, but them pads are cheap and easy enough to change. 

I've not been massively impressed by pagid, I tend to go with brembo or mintex. 

There was quite a bit of fake ebc stuff floating around ebay a few years ago, so if you want ebc, go with a reputable supplier. 

gilesnp
On 12/07/2019 at 18:51, nige8021 said:

The pads I used on the rear of my Octy after I replaced the discs were OEM ones (pagid I think) from TPS and so far no problem with them, Yeah the discs they sell are the drilled/grooved, probably not required on a light car like a Polo, but as I tow a caravan I wanted something that wasn't going to overheat and fade so the drilled/slotted were ideal, having said that, when I had an Ibiza 1.4 I fitted the "grooved" and the response was so much better than the original plain discs

Ah thanks so much, I had tried the TPS website but it didn't look like they stocked much for the 6N2 anymore. I went to the Norwich VW dealership as I wanted the thermostat housing (I'd read on here that it made sense to replace the whole housing rather than just the flange that held the 'stat in) and they didn't have anything, and suggested I checked out VW Heritage from Sussex. I might give TPS a call and see what they say.

12 hours ago, Yeti said:

Grooved do work better, but they don't last as long, and the pads certainly don't, but them pads are cheap and easy enough to change. 

I've not been massively impressed by pagid, I tend to go with brembo or mintex. 

There was quite a bit of fake ebc stuff floating around ebay a few years ago, so if you want ebc, go with a reputable supplier. 

Cheers for you recommendations, I've heard good things about Mintex (and obviously Brembo) but again, that apparently the Mintex/Brembo discs from ECP and GSF are a bit suspect. I thought discs would be discs, but I don't know who to believe! 

I took the front wheels off this weekend as I was under the car replacing the pair of horns as they'd both managed to break, and I stripped the brakes to check them out and was pleasantly surprised how simple it was (and I was following how-tos from this and uk-polos.net). When I inspected the pads, it looked like I still had 3mm of pad left, so they're due a change but not as bad as I thought they were. I don't have much brake feel at all and they are fading badly. 

Was there a particular reason you weren't that impressed by Pagid discs?

Yeti

I put them on my old van and it didn't stop well. I changed them out for something else, can't think what, probably mintex, and they felt a lot better. 

Yeah, it stopped on the pagids, but it didn't exactly inspire confidence as it did it. 

Edited by Yeti

gilesnp
On 15/07/2019 at 08:26, Yeti said:

I put them on my old van and it didn't stop well. I changed them out for something else, can't think what, probably mintex, and they felt a lot better. 

Yeah, it stopped on the pagids, but it didn't exactly inspire confidence as it did it. 

That's a good summary of how I feel with my Polo at the moment - I do stop, but yeah, not confidently. Thanks for your help!