Sign in to follow this  
AshleyWilliams

Dashboard Disco

AshleyWilliams

Good evening gents, 

This is morning I jumped in my 2008 polo gti 1.8t 9n3 to take it down for a valet! A few miles from home my dashboard just lit up warning lights flashing everywhere and bleeping. I’ve checked the battery which was 12.8v without engine running, new quality battery was fitted 2 years ago. But it has started and stopped a lot today. With engine running it was 14.4v so I think battery and alternator is ok. Doing more random checks it seems to happen when turning the steering wheel. I have uploaded a video to YouTube. Has anyone seen anything similar? 

I’m thinking power steering pump or sensor down to earth causing the ecu to go crazy. 

Ash 

AshleyWilliams

Also forgot to add that I lost power steering when I got home. But it is back again now. 

nige8021

Have a good close look at the flat metal fuse-links on the battery fusebox as they can fracture giving a low voltage especially on the high current loads like the PAS pump and ABS unit, if the fuse-links are OK then next step would be to get it scanned and see if that throws up any stored fault codes as that might give a better idea of what is going on  

AshleyWilliams

The fuse links all look ok. All clean and free from corrosion. Can’t see any cracks in them. 

caretakerplus

Those fuse links can be misleading, looking at them in situ, they often look OK, but when you remove them, it isn't unknown for them to break in half due to an 'invisible' crack.

If they are faulty, only replace them with the correct fuse - no home made bits of baked bean tins 😊

Edited by caretakerplus
Unable to edit - see new post

caretakerplus

If the worst comes to the worst - www.cartronix.co.uk are able to repair the cluster for you - THEY ARE NOT CHEAP, but the repair is guaranteed for as long as you own the car.

Regards

nige8021

This is an example of the flat fuses 

74907036_Batteryboxfuses.thumb.JPG.158adedab49460b39e96ac07f6aed603.JPG

This one has obviously failed, but they can crack on the underside, so just looking across them might not reveal the crack, the only way is to remove them and inspect and on refitting torque the nuts to 6Nm