marb67

Door locks sticking

marb67

A couple of years ago we had  an MOT failure on one of the door locks of our 2002 1.2 Polo sticking. Unfortunately this cost us £400 to have repaired but since then other locks now intermittently stick. I try with the key in the door as well as the interior door button but the problem gets worse, even the one we had fixed has since started to stick which begs the question is it more electrical then mechanical ? The locks seem to work better when the car has been running a little but the problem does get worse these last few weeks. Don't use the car that much which won't help. Once a week usually. As the MOT is up again next month I don't want to be in the same scenario having to pay again for such an old car with over 100K on the clock, as much as I like the car still.

Any advice what this could be please ?

steveo3002

sounds a bit expensive ...are all doors the same ?

id see if a couple of good sprays of wd40 or gt85 on the catches makes any difference 

marb67

They all stick intermittently. It seems to be the barrel lock that is sticking, not the catches but I will try WD40

steveo3002

does the mot even check if the car locks ?  ive never  seen them check mine , just that the doors open and close via the handle

worst case find somewhere , £400 is robbery ...im guessing the garage is just going to dismantle it and soak in oil so 1-2 hrs for all doors is ample

marb67

MOT failure if a door does not lock/unlock. If there was an accident and you needed to get out etc.

Just opened the door and all locks worked first time. Then the passenger one started to stick again. WD40 on them all but hasn't shifted the passenger one. The garage had to replace the old lock with a complete new one, but the labour took a long time as it was such a complex, drawn out job getting to it hence the cost.

Sorry, I got the cost wrong in my OP.

In 2017 the mechanism was £143 + labour £126

Edited by marb67

marb67

Well the passenger front door now stays locked permanently and will no longer work. I don't know what to do as the MOT is next week and there will be no way to open it, not even if they get the part to fix. 😡

Edited by marb67