D.y.93

Draining Battery

D.y.93

Hi

I've got a 93 polo mk2f and the battery keeps draining.

I had the alternator replaced recently and have been assured that's not the problem. Guy from the garage seems to think its mechanically sound and there's an electrical fault somewhere.

Had my battery tested and was told it's 96% capacity so think I can rule that out.

I'm thinking its a electrical fault somewhere but don't know where to start. When I got the car the car I noticed a few electrical issues:

• CD player not working - Initially worked but stopped connecting to speakers out of the blue, the player itself was working. Have disconnected  since
  • Dash lights don't work (driving at night is fun), but can control brightness of heater switches with the adjuster for the dash lights. 
  • Petrol gauge isn't working

Wondering if anyone knows if these could be the issue or something else? And if any of them could just be down to fuses. Not sure where to find fuses for this!

Appreciate any help. Cheers 

kiran_182

Is the belt tight, the loom on the front secure, earth cables clean and tight

Ddymk2

Thanks for the reply. Yeah everything’s tight and clean, spent an afternoon doing this when I first got it. What would you do next? 

D.y.93

Will do Nige, cheers. Think I'll pop to Halfords and get them to do it. Could do with a multimeter too though ! Doesn't sound too difficult 

steveo3002

wouldnt trust halfords to empty the ashtray 

these are a very basic car and should be able to diagnose it with a £10 meter and help from here /google/youtube

you can diag alot by simply disconecting things.....undo the battery over a couple of days does it remain fully charged , does it have 13.5v or more when running with headlights on?    pull all the fuses does it stay charged ?

if the batt /alt is good then i would look at the stereo /alarm /immob or any non orig wiring add on's    

Yeti

Fuses are under the bonnet in the scuttle tray (near the radio aerial). They're old-style "ceramic" ones, so look a bit different to normal cars. 

image.png.bbc405ce04db0da9ebc20772cf31be52.png

Is going flat as you drive, or running out overnight?

If it's draining overnight, disconnect the battery, and put the multimeter in line set to DC Amps, if it's more than about 0.5A, something's probably wrong. Pull the fuses one at a time until you find the one that's making the current drop.

Grab a cheap multimeter and get to work, better to spend a tenner and learn something than have someone giving you the wrong diagnosis for free. I can tell you what they're going to say already, you need a new battery, I quoted it up for you and decided that as you parked in the car park. 

Edited by Yeti

D.y.93

Cheers everyone.

The batteries running flat every 2 weeks or so. Will fully charge the battery, then 2 weeks later.. nowt! Happened 3 times in the last month or so. It's not dying whilst I'm driving it, only after its been sat for a few days. Only use it here and there during the week but tend to cover a fair distance at the weekend. 

I've read you can run the engine, disconnect your negative terminal and see if it stalls? Apparently this is a sign of a bad alternator. Any ideas?

I'll get a multimeter come the weekend and try what yous have suggested. Will test the battery and see if that holds charge first, then play with the fuses. Might even replace all the fuses, cheap enough and current ones look like Sh*t. 

Was only going to Halfords with them being open weekends.  Bloody useless. Was in recently looking at coolant and was handed screen wash.

Will update the thread once I've tried this 

zob
7 hours ago, D.y.93 said:

I've read you can run the engine, disconnect your negative terminal and see if it stalls? Apparently this is a sign of a bad alternator. Any ideas?

I'd rather just use a multimeter! Removing earths like that when running doesn't sound like a good idea! Much easier ways to assess alternator health with a meter.

steveo3002

bad move pulling wires on a car when its running...yes it most likely will stall as it needs to be earthed, very good chance of killing something

use the meter as youve been told 

no need to replace old looking fuses , wont be that 

probably a combo of low charge and slightly tired battery

Edited by steveo3002

Yeti

Draining over a couple of weeks isn't too bad to be fair. If you're leaving the car sitting for that long, either stick a trickle charge on it or disconnect the battery. 

Try not to run it for less than about 20 minutes if you're not using it much, to make sure the battery gets chance to recharge. 

caretakerplus
On 19/11/2019 at 08:40, steveo3002 said:

wouldnt trust halfords to empty the ashtray 

these are a very basic car and should be able to diagnose it with a £10 meter and help from here /google/youtube

you can diag alot by simply disconecting things.....undo the battery over a couple of days does it remain fully charged , does it have 13.5v or more when running with headlights on?    pull all the fuses does it stay charged ?

if the batt /alt is good then i would look at the stereo /alarm /immob or any non orig wiring add on's    

Love the comment about Halfords - they quoted me a really good price for a pair of tyres. I became a bit suspicious when I saw the car going up on their hoist. They had put a nice kink in one of my alloys and denied doing so, saying that I must have hit a pot hole - No more Halfords for me

Regards

caretakerplus
On 19/11/2019 at 23:36, D.y.93 said:

Cheers everyone.

The batteries running flat every 2 weeks or so. Will fully charge the battery, then 2 weeks later.. nowt! Happened 3 times in the last month or so. It's not dying whilst I'm driving it, only after its been sat for a few days. Only use it here and there during the week but tend to cover a fair distance at the weekend. 

I'll get a multimeter come the weekend and try what yous have suggested. Will test the battery and see if that holds charge first, then play with the fuses. Might even replace all the fuses, cheap enough and current ones look like Sh*t. 

Was only going to Halfords with them being open weekends.  Bloody useless. Was in recently looking at coolant and was handed screen wash.

Will update the thread once I've tried this 

DON'T DO IT!!!

If the alternator wasn't shot before you disconnect the battery and ran the engine, it almost certainly will be afterwards.

Regards