Notice to Hotmail/Gmail & BT Internet users - Please check your SPAM/JUNK folders for our emails. Please add our email as a contact to your email account.
Light/Dark Mode Enabled: You can now select the option by clicking the moon/lightbulb in the top right corner!

Phil H

Good morning to you all and as well as you can be in these times I hope.

My '97 Polo has sprung a leak on the power steering hose in the area that runs under the radiator. Ironically this pipe was replaced a year ago with one off my scrapped polo - 3 months older and a very long story. The pipe had previously burst where it passes the suspension strut.

I know it's a bu****er to get off and the chap at the garage did the replacement and it took him over 2 hours.

So, hoping not to take the pipe off if it can be avoided. Access to the are of the leak looks to be good, but I cannot tell if the leak is the metal pipe, the join to the rubber pipe or the rubber pipe itself as there is protective foil etc over everything there. Will investigate further of course.

Can removing the pipe be avoided and what suggestions do you have please?

Many thanks

Phil

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Phil H

• nige8021

• Yeti

nige8021

If you can get a mobile hydraulic pipe company like https://www.pirtek.co.uk/ they might be able to cut out the area with the leak and fit a new flexy or solid pipe, probably cheaper and quicker than ripping out the whole pipework 

Phil H

Thankyou for the suggestion and seems to be a good option. The pipe has split just after the first bit of rubber hose coming from the pump, so wondering about joining onto the steel pipe at either end but there is some concern that a compression fitting might not be upto the job for very long. 

I also wondered about replacing the whole pipe between the pump and the rack with a flexible pipe. Currently the pipe goes the long way around the engine and it would be a lot shorter to go directly from the pump to the rack but would there be any MOT issues doing this? There must be a reason that the pipe takes the long route?

What do you think?

Kind regards

Phil

nige8021

The Only thing the MOT tester will be looking for is there any leaking fluid and are any pipes securely mounted and not fouling any of the steering/suspension/engine, the longer OEM routing is probably a way of not fitting a separate oil cooler for the system and just use the extra pipework to radiate any heat   

Phil H
OK - makes sense on the cooling. The fluid dripping out was quite hot! For the small extra cost t will  route a flexible pipe around the engine bay. That may well be the way to go then.

I found this on Club Lupo. Worth a read once you get past the muppet who sugests a jubilee clip and some rubber pipe! 

Kind regards
Phil
Yeti

I was going to suggest a jubilee clip and some rubber pipe, so I won't post now.

Worked for the hose along the front cross member on my caddy though! 🙂

• 3 weeks later...
Phil H

Just a quick update on this one. The car's back on the road with power steering all working fine. This is the parts list and what I learned in case it helps anyone else with a similar problem.

2250mm long hydraulic hose with 2 swept bend 90 degree 3/8bsp fittings. Ask for one of the fittings to be at 90 degrees to the other. Looking at the pipe from the pump end get the farthest one at 12 o'clock and the other at 3 o'clock. (Actually they go at 3 and 6, but it is the same thing!) This will save you from fighting a twist in the pipe when putting the second joint together. I did the pump end last and it is tight under there. I took the pump off in the end. I would also go for a tight bend at the pump end rather than a swept bend if I was doing it again.

Pipe: £19.15, ebay.

I think a 1/4 bsp pipe would be adequate too and this is a bot smaller of course and may be  little easier to fit.

2 adapters: 14mm to 3/8bsp and 16mm to 3/8 bsp. I have no clue why VW did them different sizes!

Adapters: £2.18 and £2.98, ebay

You will need seals to go from the adapter to the pump and the rack. The old fitting has seals that you could probably re-use but they are not expensive and save any hassle with leaks. I bought Dowty Seals, 16mm and 14mm, 5 in each pack.

Seals: 5 @ £2.25, 5 @ £2.45.

At the pump end I used 2 seals. The adapter is just  little long and this was quicker and easier than sawing a bit off!

I filled the system with about 1/2l of psf. Under a fiver for 1l from GSF and unbelievably cheap.

You will need to take the plastic stone guard off from under the pump and this makes it much easier to get the fittings off and on. Not hard to see how to do that. I cut the old pipe at one of the rubber connections near where it goes over the transmission to get it out. I could not see the point in wrestling with it as you could easily spend an hour doing so.

So, £35.00 for the parts, less than an hour and job done. Wondering why the garage did not suggest this as an option when the last pipe was replaced with a salvaged one for over £200!

I fed the pipe around the bulk head and followed the original route roughly. I have not needed to clip it to anything as it wedges nicely in place and it is quite stiff in any case. So far so good.

Happy to talk anyone through it if desired and can also provide some pictures I am sure of the fitted article.

Many thanks and kind regards

Phil