MISFIRE ON 59 PLATE 1.4 DSG

BRIAN 44

Hi.first question from a new member. Please can anyone help ? I have just bought my son who is learning to drive a 59 plate 1.4 dsg polo. Drove great on test drive as they always do! But has now got a very slight misfire. Been in to a local and very trusted garage who traced to coil pack fault on cylinder 3. So changed coil pack reset codes and after 10 miles EPC /EMO lights came on with servere misfire. returned to garage and changed injector on no 3 as this was now apparent. Garage has been great and i have no complaints. It been back in for more tests and checks  but still comes up with cylinder 3 fault and after say a 10 mile drive will bring on the lights again. Each time you turn the car off and on again it seems to reset and puts the lights out but still has the noticible misfire.! Im told there is no fault with wiring or air pipes. Next step im told will be to remove the head and inspect  the valves ect. Does anyone have any ideas or had a similar fault. Many thanks BRIAN

Edited by BRIAN 44

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Pete1

• BRIAN 44

• vwfan3

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hi Pete Thanks for your reply. Yes i wish it was that simple. I should have said that as soon as we got it i took it straight in for a cambelt and full service and it was at this point it was found to have a misfire and was traced to cylinder three. It is also worth saying it is a four cylinder not a three pot as this is a very common fault on that engine. THANKS

Full service doesn't necessarily involve looking at spark plugs (bizarrely), unless it happens to coincide with some long interval like 4 years. Do you have any evidence that they were removed/checked/changed or is that an assumption?

As far as I know there isn't a 1.4 3-cylinder petrol in VAG's range of engines.

Edited by Pete1

Morning Pete. As iv already said cambelt was due so it was changed { 4 years }and  a full service that did include the plugs. THANKS

I would suggest the next step as a compression test, quick and cheap. If cylinder 3 shows a marked difference in compression, then might be the time to think about head removal.

This has also been done and no real differnce in redings. It has just had redex in the tank and a good hard run up to temp for 20 mins as it was thought it may have carbon deposite under a valve but again still has uneven tickover and epc/emlo returns but go out when ignition is turned onand off.

What are the fault codes currently?

Could be worth your while finding and putting a finger over the PCV pressure equalising port (while engine is idling, fully warmed up), as a way of detecting leakage there.  If it is leaking, blocking that with a finger will have dramatic results, if not it won't.  Careful of aux belt.

Should be something like this, where the arrow points, I think:

1763926850_BBZbreather.png.95238f787510b772fbef9632d2f72b63.png

Morning Pete. Sorry for the late reply.Thanks for the info. Im not a mechanic buam learning fast. I will pass this on to the guy who has been working on it. May i ask if you have a garage yourself as you seem quite well informed ?

3 hours ago, BRIAN 44 said:

May i ask if you have a garage yourself as you seem quite well informed ?

No, just like to tinker a lot with cars.

Apart from access, which is a little awkward, it really is a very quick and easy test to do. But as I said, make sure you keep hand/arm away from the auxiliary belt as you reach round to find the port.  Practice finding it by feel with the engine off, work out how/where you can reach to get to it without risk, then have a go with engine running.

It's a bit of a long shot that this would affect just one cylinder, but it is probably the case that cylinder 3 runs hottest on a four-cylinder due to location of coolant pump and the fact that the end cylinders have more head surface area so can radiate/conduct heat to the air better than the middle two, in addition to liquid cooling. 

Thanks Pete will give it a go . Will let you know what happens. If this does make what you said would be a dramatic difference what does that tell us ?.

• 1 month later...

Hi Pete. Hope this messege finds you well. Sorry for the delay in getting back to you but its been a busy 6 weeks.

Iv had the polo sorted. It was a head off job and turned out to be a worn exhaust valve guideon cylinder 3 ! So i had all all guides replaced together with the exhaust valves and the inlet valve seats recut. a light skim and reassembled using all genuine vw parts. Now having done 300+ miles all seems good. Once again many thanks for your advise. Take care BRIAN

Sounds expensive, but a thorough fix, hope it serves your son well going forward. 🙂

(And in reverse! 😁)

Edited by Pete1

Iv had the polo sorted..........turned out to be a worn exhaust valve guideon cylinder 3 ! 

Thanks for the update. Very informative. A worn guide normally lets engine oil go down into the combustion chamber.

I would like to know the mileage please.