Notice to Hotmail/Gmail & BT Internet users - Please check your SPAM/JUNK folders for our emails. Please add our email as a contact to your email account.
Light/Dark Mode Enabled: You can now select the option by clicking the moon/lightbulb in the top right corner!

Hi guys, newbie here looking for some help.

I've got a VW Polo Twist 2005, the 3 locks have all been filled with super glue, and it's all down the doors as well. The scrappy has just had a 2004 Polo in with 3 good locks and the key, which he's keeping for me. Will they definitely fit my doors though? I'm a bit rubbish with this stuff tbh.

To say i'm gutted is an understatement, i've had the car 8 years now and it was in perfect condition until the gits ruined it with glue. I've tried rubbing alcohol and nail varnish remover to get the glue off the doors but it's not happening. Looks like they'll need a respray, unless anyone has any tips for me?

Thanks in advance.

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• PD789

• nige8021

• Yeti

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

First Welcome to the forum.   You posted it in the "Electrical" section so I moved it to this section 

It should be fine, the locks changed design way before that date.    You may get away with pulling the lock barrels out and leaving them in a pot of petrol for a day or two to soften the glu

Looking at the parts listing http://www.oemepc.com/vw/part_single/catalog/vw/markt/RDW/modell/PO/year/2005/drive_standart/461/hg_ug/837/subcategory/837000/part_id/3690211/lang/e  the handles and locks

nige8021
2 hours ago, PD789 said:

Have i posted this in the wrong section? 

First Welcome to the forum.

You posted it in the "Electrical" section so I moved it to this section 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, nige8021 said:

First Welcome to the forum.

You posted it in the "Electrical" section so I moved it to this section 

Thanks for your help, and the welcome 😊

Edited by PD789

It should be fine, the locks changed design way before that date. 

You may get away with pulling the lock barrels out and leaving them in a pot of petrol for a day or two to soften the glue out. There's a lot of videos on YouTube about doing a VW lock repair. It's worth getting the kit and renewing those bits at the same time, makes the job loads easier.

If you want to be a bit lazy, and the colours match. Swapping the whole handle out is easier than just doing the barrel. 

• Like 1
nige8021

Looking at the parts listing http://www.oemepc.com/vw/part_single/catalog/vw/markt/RDW/modell/PO/year/2005/drive_standart/461/hg_ug/837/subcategory/837000/part_id/3690211/lang/e  the handles and locks are the same for the 04 & 05 9N1 & the 05 9N3 

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Yeti said:

It should be fine, the locks changed design way before that date. 

You may get away with pulling the lock barrels out and leaving them in a pot of petrol for a day or two to soften the glue out. There's a lot of videos on YouTube about doing a VW lock repair. It's worth getting the kit and renewing those bits at the same time, makes the job loads easier.

If you want to be a bit lazy, and the colours match. Swapping the whole handle out is easier than just doing the barrel. 

Thanks for the reply.

I picked the locks up yesterday (£40) and will be having them changed over on Monday.

The glue situation on the doors is looking up though. I tried Bostick skin release by dabbing on the glue trail down the door, it made the glue brittle and easier to scrape off. It'll take time but hopefully it won't ruin the paintwork.