Notice to Hotmail/Gmail & BT Internet users - Please check your SPAM/JUNK folders for our emails. Please add our email as a contact to your email account.
Light/Dark Mode Enabled: You can now select the option by clicking the moon/lightbulb in the top right corner!

changed flat now engine wont start mk5

d3ceptacon

Hi ive got an mk5 polo, 

I came out of work to find a flat front, so i changed and put the spare on... went to start the car and it turns ok but wont fire up, got a red battery light, orange epc light and orange transmission light?? 

Its turning then starts slightly but wont fire up, also steering is completely locked? i did change the tire with the boot open the whole time but it only took me like 5 mins? i cant understand whats happened here i have had to leave the car at work... at first i thought maybe battery but the all lights are working fine? 

any help would be greatly appreciated. 

regards.

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• d3ceptacon

• dvderlm

• Pete1

• nige8021

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

nah scissor jack on the sill in front door, im pretty sure i didn't damage the line, but i did smell a strong smell when trying to start, trouble is im home now had to leave the car at work, guess ill

dvderlm

How annoying.

Guess:

Battery in the keyfob just about dead as pure coincidence.

So immobilizer activates when start.

Do you see a key in a triangle too?

d3ceptacon

no key in triangle mate, was working fine like 2 hours before this, i went home then back to work car was running perfect, went back out to the car after two hours and saw a flat tire, i jacked the car up changed the tire, and now it wont start, just weird how its happened at the same time, its leading me to believe something has happened as i was changing the tire? Also weird how the steering is completely locked up usually turning the key halfway not fully unlocks the wheel?

dvderlm

It was a front flat so there was sideways force on the wheel that stayed on the ground.

If you turn wheel opposite way to usual with key at half-way does it unlock steering.

d3ceptacon

nah it still doesn't unlock, if i start and put foot on gas pedal, it starts but then immediately dies, within that nonosecond of it starting the steering wheel unlocks, but then when it dies it locks up again.

dvderlm

It was a front flat so there was sideways force on the wheel that stayed on the ground.

If you turn wheel opposite way to usual with key at half-way it might unlock steering.

But that doesn't explain fail to start. The lift pump would be operating with driver door open, not boot lid.

There are some big fuses on top of the battery that might be worth looking at.

I wonder if the ignition switch barrel is somehow damaged.... not a problem area I've heard of.

d3ceptacon

yeah its got me stumped, just weird how its happened at the same time as changing the tire, and was perfect a few hours earlier... not really much i can do until monday ill have to get it to a mech or something 😞 im wondering if ive damaged the fuel line while jacking it but im pretty sure i didnt. Thanks for the repy anyway mate 🙂

dvderlm

You'd smell petrol if you split the line.

If you've squashed the fuel line, yes it wouldn't run for very long.

Surely you jacked at the sill in front of door with a scissor jack?

Or did you slide a big hydraulic jack a long way under the car?

Edited by dvderlm
d3ceptacon

nah scissor jack on the sill in front door, im pretty sure i didn't damage the line, but i did smell a strong smell when trying to start, trouble is im home now had to leave the car at work, guess ill know when i walk down to work tomorrow and see the fuel everywhere as it was a full tank. again thanks for the reply mate 🙂

• Like 1
nige8021

Starting and then dying in a second or two is classic immobiliser kicking in, do you have a second key you could try ?

What year is the car ? 

d3ceptacon

i do have a brand new spare key and im heading down to work soonish so ill see if that works fingers crossed 🙂

d3ceptacon

spare key didnt work, had to get it recovered to my house... took three spark plugs out cleaned them checked they were firing all three firing fine, checked the fuel pressure plenty of fuel getting through... could be a problem with the air, ill have to get it to a garage to have it plugged into a proper computer, just hoping this doesn't end up costing a bomb 😞 funny how this has happened after changing the tire... its turning fine its so close to firing up but just wont get there... weird. 

thanks for the replies tho 🙂

Three cylinder not four, judging by your reference to three spark plugs a few replies back?

Did you by any chance have to pump up the spare tyre using an electric pump plugged into the lighter socket before or after fitting it? 

Was the flat tyre found to be punctured, or is the cause of the deflation still unknown?  Just wondering if someone might have managed to crash into it whilst parked, if the wheels weren't straight when parked up?

d3ceptacon

3 cylinder yes, and the spare was already inflated... the flat tire cause is unknown but theres flaking on inside of the alloy i think thats the cause of that...

• 2 weeks later...