• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• steveo3002

• caretakerplus

• Eviljohn

• Richiecole

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...

I put a different grade of oil in my old breadvan. Changed it after 2 days because i got sick of the oil warning light/buzzer going off. My best guess is once the engine warmed up, the oil was too thin for the sensor to detect so the alarm bells literally started ringing. Paid out for second lot of correct oil and it was fine. Follow the numbers and just buy it once. 

As said above, 20w40 is the correct grade.

In any case, any engine that has done high mileage would probably baulk at having 5w30 grade, as the internal clearances, especially between crank and main bearings also crank to big-end bearings may well have increased due to wear, that along with possible wear of the oil pump would result in low oil pressure, even if 5w30 was recommended when the engine was new.

On the subject of oil, there is more to having the correct oil in the engine, than just the viscosity (5w30  10w40 etc) Each engine will have a recommended oil SPECIFICATION number.

It is more important to stick with the above, than to use the recommended brand, although it is wise to use established (well known) brands of oil.

Regards