Notice to Hotmail/Gmail & BT Internet users - Please check your SPAM/JUNK folders for our emails. Please add our email as a contact to your email account.
Light/Dark Mode Enabled: You can now select the option by clicking the moon/lightbulb in the top right corner!

Mk2f 1991 GT inline fuel pump help

1vw2many

Hi I think my inline fuel pump is shot on my 1991 gt coupe. The one at the rear of the car. Any direction and help on a replacement please ? 

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1vw2many

• steveo3002

• zob

• Yeti

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Thanks stevo. And sorry @1vw2many for the hijack!

I'd probably swap a fuse before crawling under the car. 

Fuel pump holding up so all good for now.

Posted Images

Just out of interest what makes you think its shot? I only ask as mine can make quite a racket (enough to hear it inside the cabin at idle) one day and then be near silent for weeks. Always wondered if it isn't getting a bit tired.

steveo3002
2 hours ago, zob said:

Just out of interest what makes you think its shot? I only ask as mine can make quite a racket (enough to hear it inside the cabin at idle) one day and then be near silent for weeks. Always wondered if it isn't getting a bit tired.

id try a new lift and filter...might be starving it  

10 minutes ago, steveo3002 said:

id try a new lift and filter...might be starving it  

Thanks stevo. And sorry @1vw2many for the hijack!

• Like 1
1vw2many

No worries.  I said this because it has happened before I can't hear it priming . Also I took fuel pipe off fuel rail and turned it over and no fuel can out of the pipe.

As its a gt I need a 3bar fuel pump.

Try putting a new fuse it. It's the blade one wedged on top of the fuse box. They're not really meant to live in that sort of environment, so can rust. The next suspect after that is the relay (cheap enough, fits a million VAG cars). 

1vw2many

I did replace them a few years ago when I replaced the original fuel pump. I might just bypass and use a direct feed to the pump ? 

I'd probably swap a fuse before crawling under the car. 

• Like 1
1vw2many

Good shout I shall as its a pain jacking it up on stands as its so low. 

If it’s not priming have you checked the relay?

1vw2many

Not yet due to bad weather but I shall check that and the fuse. How can I tell if relay is done for ? 

Thank you. 

steveo3002

you need to go back to basics ...ideally with a test light or meter 

ign on does the relay click?   does the test light show power briefly when ign on  , if yes its working ....again with test light is power present at the wiring to the pumps?

1vw2many

Hi thanks for the help. As I last remember the relay does click so I shall rule that out and check fuse in scuttle Bay. Then check power at the pump.

• 3 weeks later...
1vw2many

Hi quick update its the fuel pump that has failed . Ran a direct feed today and nothing.  Took it out ready for new one when I find one.

I can find lots for the spi but not much joy for mpi . 

steveo3002

not seeing any either...many 1.1 bar wrongly listed for them

if willing to cut the plug off you could use this type...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/APS-Universal-External-Fuel-Injection-Pump-12mm-In-8mm-Out-3-Bar-Max-8-5-Bar/371975652036?hash=item569b7a02c4:g:v8MAAOSwg8Fd6gwH

1vw2many
Just now, steveo3002 said:

not seeing any either...many 1.1 bar wrongly listed for them

if willing to cut the plug off you could use this type...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/APS-Universal-External-Fuel-Injection-Pump-12mm-In-8mm-Out-3-Bar-Max-8-5-Bar/371975652036?hash=item569b7a02c4:g:v8MAAOSwg8Fd6gwH

Well I already cut the plug of for the last replacement a couple of years ago. That would be fine. I emailed autodoc last night as they have some listed but most of them are for spi even the bosch one.

Really can see why more of the 3 bar ones are available? Surely early golfs would or used them ?

steveo3002

plenty of 3 bar ones avail without the correct plug....i had a ebay special and it was noisey , might be worth calling merlin motorsports or demon tweaks etc , see if they stock  decent ones

1vw2many
2 minutes ago, steveo3002 said:

plenty of 3 bar ones avail without the correct plug....i had a ebay special and it was noisey , might be worth calling merlin motorsports or demon tweaks etc , see if they stock  decent ones

Yeah my last ebay special was noisey but I just got used to it. 

I shall try both of them and wait for autodoc reply. 

Thanks.

1vw2many

Just looks like a £20 one off ebay but rebranded its hit and miss i think. At that price its got to be better .  Thanks for the link.

steveo3002

yeah thats the trouble the £10 one looks the same as £150 ones...youd like to think a long running company wouldnt sell utter rubbish but who knows

1vw2many

Well thats just the risk we take with these older cars now. Well I need to make my mind up and buy one. 

I shall update once I brought and fit it.

Thanks steveo3002.

Edited by 1vw2many
1vw2many

Order has been made with demon this morning.  Shall report back once fitted and up and running. 

1vw2many

My new 3 bar  pump came today from demon tweeks £55 delivered . The £25 silver one I removed as it failed after 3 years noisy service. 

As you can see the new one looks similar apart from the black paint  etc.  

New one came with diagram saying a pre filter must be used ?? But no need as one is on the pump in the tank ??

20210301_153256.jpg