Notice to Hotmail/Gmail & BT Internet users - Please check your SPAM/JUNK folders for our emails. Please add our email as a contact to your email account.
Light/Dark Mode Enabled: You can now select the option by clicking the moon/lightbulb in the top right corner!

Multiple errors after catalytic converter was stolen

Chris churchill

Hi. New here but am struggling to sort my daughters polo. This is her first car and due to COVID has been parked up for months. During this time someone stole the catalytic converter and ripped out the wires to the o2 sensor. I replaced the front and middle sections of the exhaust system along with a new o2 sensor thinking that would sort it ready for her to finally use it. However the epc and engine lights are on so I purchased a code reader for the odb2 codes and it’s showing 226,228,408,113,108 & 118. Clearing them does not work they come back straight away. The engine will start and sounds fine but there’s no throttle response and the battery light stays on. Does anyone have any ideas on how I can sort this instead of swapping multiple sensors. The common for most of the faults is high input on multiple sensors so not sure if that will help someone to guide me in the right direction with this issue. Thanks in advance.

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• nige8021

• Chris churchill

• Alexandre

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

nige8021

First Welcome to the forum.

Those codes don't look like normal VW codes as the old system uses either 4/5 digits the later (post 2001) will normally be a "P" code.  Depending on the year of your car will determine if it will respond to a generic obd code reader or if it needs a VAG specific reader.

What year/engine size & code ? the engine code can be found on the V5 document in the first three letters of the engine serial number.

Chris churchill

Sorry each code is P0 before them it’s a 2000 6n2 1.0l polo

Alexandre

Good afternoon, I need some help.
I'm putting a 1.4 TDI BNM Polo Engine in a Jeep.
I need a reading diagram for each pin of the ECU.
Bosch ECU 045 906 019 BH EDC15P.
I would appreciate it if you could help me.
Alexandre

nige8021
40 minutes ago, Alexandre said:

Good afternoon, I need some help.
I'm putting a 1.4 TDI BNM Polo Engine in a Jeep.
I need a reading diagram for each pin of the ECU.
Bosch ECU 045 906 019 BH EDC15P.
I would appreciate it if you could help me.
Alexandre

First Welcome to the Forum.

Please start your own thread otherwise this posting will get confusing

nige8021
1 hour ago, Chris churchill said:

Sorry each code is P0 before them it’s a 2000 6n2 1.0l polo

Looking at those codes, I would suspect you are missing a ground for the Accelerator position sensor, EGR sensor, Lambda sensor, MAP sensor & coolant temp sensor 

nige8021

Looking at the wiring diagrams, the EGR,MAP & Coolant sensors do all share a common ground that comes from the ECU, (Pin 54 Sender ground)  The main earth for the ECU is on the left side of the engine bay, but if these were missing the engine wouldn't run.

A common problem with the Lambda sensors are the two disconnects under the thermostat housing, the wires corrode on the pins and often just fall off. the Alternator sense wiring also is in the same block of connectors.

The lack of throttle response might be the ECU has lost it's settings if the car has been stood with either a disconnected or flat battery, and to reset this you will need VCDS to do the "Throttle body alignment" procedure.