Notice to Hotmail/Gmail & BT Internet users - Please check your SPAM/JUNK folders for our emails. Please add our email as a contact to your email account.
Light/Dark Mode Enabled: You can now select the option by clicking the moon/lightbulb in the top right corner!

Is everyone panic buying petrol?

I have to head to Plymouth next week so thought as I had time tonight I would fill up with fuel.  Two garages had no petrol (but they did have diesel).  This story about BP closing some forecourts has sent people into a panic.  Have my Polo brethren got full tanks?  If not .... PANIC!!!

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• DerekR

• nige8021

• Pete1

• Mark Bennett

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I drive petrol tankers for a living,in a nutshell,the media is the problem,yes we have a small staff problem,but most of us are doing extra shifts to cover this,unfortunately there aren't enough tanke

Yep - completely agree about the media.  It is just amazing how people over react.  There are conspiracy theories that I find completely plausible that the haulage and oil companies were leaking stori

Posted Images

There's a fuel station really close to me.  There have been queues since they had a delivery sometime mid morning.  The queues are still there now.  Horns blowing (as I type - dead on ...cue) .  There must have been at least one punch up - cars coming from the opposite direction trying to turn right across the road and in without joining the queue.     Once everyone has topped up and decided to try and conserve fuel and not drive all of the queueing will stop - normal service will be resumed.  I hope that they are not allowing people to fill cans.

Mark Bennett

I drive petrol tankers for a living,in a nutshell,the media is the problem,yes we have a small staff problem,but most of us are doing extra shifts to cover this,unfortunately there aren't enough tankers in the country to cover the demand we've seen today,up to now we have been coping(just),but stupid comments that were made ie sites closing,no deliveries etc causes Joe public to hit the panic button, remember the toilet roll saga last year 

• Like 2

Yep - completely agree about the media.  It is just amazing how people over react.  There are conspiracy theories that I find completely plausible that the haulage and oil companies were leaking stories to the media with this very reaction in mind so to pressure the Gvmt into accepting drivers from overseas.  It may or may not be necessary in the short term but I believe the truth is these companies just want to screw over foreign drivers on low rates of pay and screw over UK drivers similarly using the foreign drivers to apply pressure .  I am not particularly left wing but we are at a horrible time for employees generally with zero hour contracts, minimum wage payments and long hour requirements in certain industries.    Mark - keep doing those extra shifts please.    Cheers

• Like 1

I've just seen the pic that Nige8021 has posted - am wondering if that was not a stock photo rather thank one that was taken in the last day or so.  Can't believe that petrol stations would have allowed that. 

nige8021
2 hours ago, DerekR said:

I've just seen the pic that Nige8021 has posted - am wondering if that was not a stock photo rather thank one that was taken in the last day or so.   

There was a time/date stamp before I cropped the picture and it was yesterday 

I'll admit, I filled the van up this morning when I could have left it til Monday, but I'm doing 1000-1500 miles a week at the minute, so I could do with staying mobile.

It did make me laugh that most of the people filling up looked like they hardly ever fill up, I was talking to the lady marshalling traffic and she said a lot of them couldn't remember how to use the pumps 😃 Still... as long as they can get to bingo next Thursday, it can't hurt to have a year's worth of fuel in the tank eh?